Hemming Woodsman butterfly knife, ca. 1910, made in USA.

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Nephilim

Hemming Woodsman butterfly knife, ca. 1910, made in USA.

Post by Nephilim »

One of the earliest (I believe the 2nd, after a Billings and Spencer model) butterfly knives made in the US, is the Hemming Woodsman. As best I can tell, the Hemming Brothers Cutlery company operated in New Haven, CT from around 1905 to the mid-1920s. It is a large, robust hunting knife. The handles are solid aluminum and the black paint is still mostly intact. The fit between the blade and handles is fairly tight; it cannot be flipped open or closed one handed, but it is easy to open with two hands. In the open position, the lockup is rock solid. Really, this thing is built like a tank. Maybe I'm just lucky and this example wasn't heavily used, but this is one of the best functioning examples of a century old folding knife I've held. This example is in quite good condition.
Brass latch is retained by a circular brass spring, still perfectly functional in both open and closed position.
Brass latch is retained by a circular brass spring, still perfectly functional in both open and closed position.
Sturdy carbon steel blade with a fuller, slight clip point and lots of belly. The edge can impact the inside of the handle, but the blade has wide enough tolerance in the closed position that its not forced to slam the handle every time you close it.
Sturdy carbon steel blade with a fuller, slight clip point and lots of belly. The edge can impact the inside of the handle, but the blade has wide enough tolerance in the closed position that its not forced to slam the handle every time you close it.
The only marking, on the flat inside of the handle. I don't know if they ever had their patent granted. Bontgen & Sabin patented a butterfly knife in the US in the 1880s. Maybe the patent just covered the style of latch, which may well have been original.
The only marking, on the flat inside of the handle. I don't know if they ever had their patent granted. Bontgen & Sabin patented a butterfly knife in the US in the 1880s. Maybe the patent just covered the style of latch, which may well have been original.
All the information I can find on these knives seems to be folks posting on forums, repeating the same information from other forum posts. No shame in that, but I'd love to find some primary sources, i.e. period advertisements, catalogues, company literature, patents, corporate registration, etc.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Hemming Woodsman butterfly knife, ca. 1910, made in USA.

Post by C-WADE7 »

Very cool knife!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

AAPK Janitor
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Very cool knife! Is that the same Hemming Brothers who owned the Eagle Knife Co?

Eric
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

Miller Bro's wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:02 pm Post it over here:
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... 35&t=76957
Cool. I'll make a post later with this one and the couple of Waltcos and Hackmans I have.
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

Found a little more information, a short 1918 biographical article on one of eponymous Hemming Brothers: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~ctnhvbio/Hemming_Carl.html
It doesn't contain any information on this knife specifically, but it does cover the company that made it. I think they made most of their business from their "automatic glazing machine", a machine tool for grinding knife blades: https://connecticuthistory.org/connecti ... ife-firms/
EDIT: Seems the company was founded in 1910, not 1905 as I suggested in my original post.
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

I got in contact with the New Haven history museum and they pulled an article out of the archives. Unfortunately, nothing pertaining directly to this butterfly knife in particular, but something relevant to the history of the company.
Sta Brite1024_1 (2).jpg
They changed the named to Sta-Brite at some point and focused on the production of stainless steel flatware. I did some searching through the US patent database as well and found some other cutlery related patents from the Hemming Bros. company, some for knives, some for machine tools. None of them resembled any sort of butterfly knife. I would assume this means that the patent they filed for was never granted? The system for searching patents is a little complicated and I need to do some more homework to make sure I am using it properly.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”