Camillus pocketknife I can’t identify

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Theo

Camillus pocketknife I can’t identify

Post by Theo »

Hey everyone trying to figure out this little guy, that I picked up last week. It’s a 4 liner, and 3 3/8 inches closed. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.-
Attachments
0AA23173-C4E6-4FDE-B805-E702D1D97B53.jpeg
6FA26729-5FB4-47E1-85E9-A6290DB38F6A.jpeg
20D94E16-DFC7-4745-A08B-EE119CF95C4C.jpeg
6615B272-9688-4F3D-9EA5-2AFEAAFA4868.jpeg
3ACBBD7C-C8C1-4B65-9D0B-D469DE83F7C4.jpeg
My new store http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/theo

“I don’t wanna kill anybody. But if I gotta get out that door, and you’re standing in my way, one way or the other, you’re gettin’ outta my way.” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi) Reservoir Dogs
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Camillus pocketknife I can’t identify

Post by Reverand »

I have a very similar Camillus, also without a pattern number.
Yours is older, and may possibly have celluloid covers. Mine are jigged, but still synthetic.
It is a great little pen knife, though smaller than I normally carry.
I also await information on these.
Attachments
IMG_20220914_174834951-1.jpg
IMG_20220914_174850699-1.jpg
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I Googled up some old Camillus catalogs. They are not early enough to show your exact knife, but I would guess that ours might both be a #41.
In the 1949 catalog the #41 is listed as genuine Carbone handles, and in the 1955 it is listed as Bonestag. Neither is exactly what we have in handle material, but they are definitely Senator Pen knives.
The #42 goes from "Genuine Sea Pearl" to "Nu Pearl" so I imagine that handle materials vary from year to year.
Anyway, if we cannot narrow it down more exactly, then I am going to claim that my Camillus Senator Pen knife is a #41 pattern!
Attachments
Screenshot_20220914-182730-1.jpg
Screenshot_20220914-183100-1.jpg
Jesus is life.

~Reverand
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

I have two similar (long line) Camillus knives. The candy-striped on is a re-handle that I did some time back--the original handles were a synthetic that was shrinking and curling back at the edges. It's marked 41 and is 3-3/8" long.

The other is original, as far as I can tell, also synthetic. It's marked 410, and as you can see in the last photo, the difference is that the 410 is slimmer than the 41. Of course, the 41 doesn't have the original handles, but you can see that the bolsters on the 410 are also thinner.
Attachments
IMG_4216.jpeg
IMG_4217.jpeg
IMG_4218.jpeg
IMG_4219.jpeg
Brent
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That 41 Senator is a fine little knife. Was around since the 1940s and into the 1990s.
The 410 is just a newer version of it. It didn't last long.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Reverand wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:43 pm I Googled up some old Camillus catalogs. They are not early enough to show your exact knife, but I would guess that ours might both be a #41.
In the 1949 catalog the #41 is listed as genuine Carbone handles, and in the 1955 it is listed as Bonestag. Neither is exactly what we have in handle material, but they are definitely Senator Pen knives.
The #42 goes from "Genuine Sea Pearl" to "Nu Pearl" so I imagine that handle materials vary from year to year.
Anyway, if we cannot narrow it down more exactly, then I am going to claim that my Camillus Senator Pen knife is a #41 pattern!
I don't think the OP's knife is a 41. Those were 3 1/8" and the OP's knife is larger at 3 3/8".

Eric
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

" It's marked 41 and is 3-3/8" long." Measuring error?? ::shrug::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

ea42 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:40 pm

I don't think the OP's knife is a 41. Those were 3 1/8" and the OP's knife is larger at 3 3/8".

Eric
The catalog shows the 3-1/8" spec, but the actual knife in my hand (and in the photos I posted), which is marked "41" is 3-3/8" closed. Perhaps something changed between the date the catalog was published and the time my 41 was produced?
Brent
Theo

Post by Theo »

I just remeasured mine, just in case and it is 3 3/8 , good points on everything posted, mine also mine has the shield and the line on the bottom of the bolster, I know sometimes different versions might pop up. I am still googling and looking myself also, appreciate the help we might find answers for us all.
Attachments
A4FF3C08-1D59-4453-AA40-AC9C96B4C757.jpeg

“I don’t wanna kill anybody. But if I gotta get out that door, and you’re standing in my way, one way or the other, you’re gettin’ outta my way.” – Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi) Reservoir Dogs
Theo

Post by Theo »

Well I forgot, that I had a 41 , big difference between the two, when don’t remember what you have , you might be getting old.
Attachments
88510EEE-5E4A-4FF9-B866-74A787BEB3F8.jpeg

Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Wow, back to doing research.

::dang::
Jesus is life.

~Reverand
Theo

Post by Theo »

Reverand wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:05 pm Wow, back to doing research.

::dang::
I hear ya , well think I will do some more research tonight.

TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

This mystery has been bugging me all day! I am fairly sure the forum has seen this issue before - a Camillus equal end pen knife that is 3-3/8", but the only catalogs we have access to say the #41 is 3-1/8" and there is no equal end pen that is 3-3/8". I recall us talking about a possible catalog error, or a measurement error, or a 3 or 4 blade 3-3/8 knife that had blades removed. Those possibilities seem pretty remote to me...

I have been trying to use the forum search to see if I could find anything (our forum search is not the sharpest knife in the drawer). The only thing I have found so far is this: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=20082&p=253999#p253999

But, that's a knife that was made by Camillus, but not marked as Camillus. Arrgghh - I wish there was more info online for pre-1946 Camillus. I have had numerous times when I could have used more info and I have never found a good resource.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Don’t see a 41 in the op knife ? This is not a 41 !!! Pre Ww2 Camillus used 3 and 4 digit numbers that got assigned by customer/ sales / or certain specs . Have over 80 4 lines and some have that number and some don’t . As far as I know ,and if you read thru some of the Camillus threads here you’ll read what am referring to here . Smitty and , Vit and I had a long conversation regarding this . We found better resources are the old Hardware store Catalogs. You won’t find much from Camillus before 1946 in print. So it’s a customer number that got assigned to the model of knife they ordered .
Have you figured out the handle material yet ? Is it pyroxylin or real tortoise . Again the way to test it is here in the forum !!
Take care out there folks .
JP
Theo

Post by Theo »

Ripster wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:49 pm Don’t see a 41 in the op knife ? This is not a 41 !!! Pre Ww2 Camillus used 3 and 4 digit numbers that got assigned by customer/ sales / or certain specs . Have over 80 4 lines and some have that number and some don’t . As far as I know ,and if you read thru some of the Camillus threads here you’ll read what am referring to here . Smitty and , Vit and I had a long conversation regarding this . We found better resources are the old Hardware store Catalogs. You won’t find much from Camillus before 1946 in print. So it’s a customer number that got assigned to the model of knife they ordered .
Have you figured out the handle material yet ? Is it pyroxylin or real tortoise . Again the way to test it is here in the forum !!
Take care out there folks .
Not yet Ripster on the handle material, tired tonight tried blowing it up on the super magnifying app on my phone, my eyes can be playing tricks on me, it really looks layered, but won’t commit yet. Great idea looking up old hardware store catalogs , I’ll them a good search tomorrow evening. But thanks , I appreciate it very much

ea42

Post by ea42 »

I'm pretty certain that's a 1930's up to very early '40's knife. As Ripster mentions there's very little catalog info out there for those early Camillus knives. Might be a pattern that was discontinued post-war. I would imagine that it's some type of celluloid as there was very little real tortoise put on knives in those years.

Eric
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Sticking my nose in here. Try rubbing the scales hard and fast with a silk or rayon cloth and sniff them. Celluloid should give a camphor odor. And there's always the hot needle test if you can find a spot where it won't show. (Just my humble two cents.) Good luck. Nice old knife. J.O'.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Sweet old 4-liner. ::nod::👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Theo

Post by Theo »

Ridgegrass wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:06 pm Sticking my nose in here. Try rubbing the scales hard and fast with a silk or rayon cloth and sniff them. Celluloid should give a camphor odor. And there's always the hot needle test if you can find a spot where it won't show. (Just my humble two cents.) Good luck. Nice old knife. J.O'.
I will give it another try on the rubbing with silk, didn’t smell anything the first time maybe didn’t rub hard enough, but not doing the needle trick… …

Theo

Post by Theo »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:55 pm Sweet old 4-liner. ::nod::👍
Thanks buddy, got it for a song, and I was singing all the way home. ::ds::

Theo

Post by Theo »

Theo wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:31 pm
Ridgegrass wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:06 pm Sticking my nose in here. Try rubbing the scales hard and fast with a silk or rayon cloth and sniff them. Celluloid should give a camphor odor. And there's always the hot needle test if you can find a spot where it won't show. (Just my humble two cents.) Good luck. Nice old knife. J.O'.
I will give it another try on the rubbing with silk, didn’t smell anything the first time maybe didn’t rub hard enough, but not doing the needle trick… …
Shoot I rub and rub , put on buffing wheel, I can not smell a thing on it…

Theo

Post by Theo »

ea42 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:43 pm I'm pretty certain that's a 1930's up to very early '40's knife. As Ripster mentions there's very little catalog info out there for those early Camillus knives. Might be a pattern that was discontinued post-war. I would imagine that it's some type of celluloid as there was very little real tortoise put on knives in those years.

Eric
That’s my thinking on the age of the knife, I am pretty sure it is a celluloid handles, now I gotta find my damn glasses cause I don’t know what I am typing is correct … but with all the rubbing and buffing I did get a lot of the scratches out of the handles, I love the color of them….

Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Not to be instructive here but I'd take it easy with that buffing wheel. Celluloid heats up quickly and I have damaged a couple nice scales myself. Good luck. J.O'. ::handshake::
Theo

Post by Theo »

Ridgegrass wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:28 am Not to be instructive here but I'd take it easy with that buffing wheel. Celluloid heats up quickly and I have damaged a couple nice scales myself. Good luck. J.O'. ::handshake::
No go right ahead, it doesn’t bother me a bit. The funny thing is I started buffing it then , you know the voice in my head said wait , if it heats up you could have a big problem here. So it took about a day buff just a small are and very short time, then stop. Amazing how that voice in our head has saved me, but I’ll be damned if doesn’t speak up more often, I could saved a lot of money and headaches…..but thanks buddy I know what you are saying and caught myself, ::handshake::

Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Theo, If it's not celluloid, maybe it's tortoise. Looking at it, it doesn't have the mottling of most tortoise, but who knows ? Maybe it's just kind of plastic.
Mystery?? J.O'.
Personally I'd do the needle test somewhere along the back near the bolster. A very small needle, red hot won't damage the knife or it's value. IMHO

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”