Ralph Bone???

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Redchord520

Ralph Bone???

Post by Redchord520 »

Is this a Ralph Bone? It doesn't have the bone on the front tang.
IMG_4147.JPG
IMG_4148.JPG
IMG_4149.JPG
IMG_4150.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ralph Bone???

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Looks to me like a G.W. Stone Model G. He made the Model G with both 4” and 5” blades. Odd that it doesn’t have STONE stamped on the ricasso. The G xxx is identical to his model number stamp for Model G pattern knives.

G.W. and Ralph Bone were business partners in Richardson, TX until sometime in early to mid-1960s, when Ralph moved to Lubbock. Both made knives and there are a lot of similarities.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I can certainly see a strong influence from Bo Randall in that knife. Nice!
AAA,LLC

Post by AAA,LLC »

Yes: the pictured knife was Bone's larger Model G, made by him in early 1967; note the "7", first number in the serial number. (The second and third numbers represent the quantity of Models G that Bone had made, as of that production date, in the year 1967. Most likely, Bone refrained from stamping the knife with his identifying stamp (small dog bone) at the time, because, in early 1967, he was in process of establishing The Ralph Bone Knife Company in Lubbock with financial partner, Sam Arnett, and the initial registered trademark of the company would be Bone's "small bone" design. The leather handle on the knife was among Bone's last use of leather rings for handle material, due to leather's tendency to shrink. For a full account of the knife making careers of Ralph Bone and Enedino De Leon (Bone's protege) and of Ralph Bone's gun making and Master Engraver careers, see my book "The Artistry Of Ralph P Bone". jhw
AAA,LLC

Post by AAA,LLC »

(continued)
As for G. W. Stone, he and Ralph Bone were associated for only about one year. Bone made the knives and Stone did the marketing. After their disassociation, due to personality conflicts, Stone copied Bone's knife models that Bone had designed and made prior to their association. That explains why most of Stone's knives are so similar to Bone's knives of that time.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That is a really nice looking knife. ::tu::
Must be a weighty pommel.
Such clean lines.
Joe
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

jhw, not my thread but Thank You for such an in depth post about this knife. Info is helpful to any of us looking for a Ralph Bone knife.
kj
Benedons

Post by Benedons »

I have a couple dozen Bone knives including a couple that were his own personal pieces.

For anyone interested in Ralph, I suggest buying a copy of Huxley Walters' book, The Artistry of Ralph P Bone.

They are on Amazon, and eBay for less than Huxley sells them for. I buy them for gifts, directly from Huxley. I pay more, but he signs them.

He discussed Bone, Stone and De Leon. (no I am not a poet, it just happened)
AAA,LLC

Post by AAA,LLC »

The Standard Edition of "The Artistry Of Ralph P Bone" is available on Amazon and the big box book stores at around $79 - 80; the deluxe
coffee table edition, sold, only, by the author, currently, is sold out, pending a second printing. Thanks for the interest and best
regards to all.
Huxley Walters

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”