Old handed down 3 blade KA-BAR U.S.A

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
cjo

Old handed down 3 blade KA-BAR U.S.A

Post by cjo »

Hi everyone!

I’m new to the forum and have a serious question about an old pocket knife handed down to me from my great grandfather.
It’s a 3 blade pocket knife with the Tang Stamp KA-BAR U.S.A as the story was told to me he received it when retiring from the Railroad, not sure of the time frame. My research places the manufacture around 1930-1940.

My question is do I try to clean it and remove the rust or leave it be? See photo. Any and all suggestions welcomed.

I have quite a few knives that I collected over the last 40 years, working on identifying and displaying them, I definitely want to display this. Looking forward to any and all responses.
600A4DD1-045F-4868-816E-73E577357ACE.jpeg
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old handed down 3 blade KA-BAR U.S.A

Post by glennbad »

What a great memento! My opinion my family heirlooms has always been to NOT erase the history that is on the object (the honest years of use, tarnish, sharpening marks, etc.)

That being said, personally I would treat/remove any active rust that is damaging the knife (i.e. deteriorating it). There are several ways to do it, and my way may not be the same as others.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::welcome:: to AAPK, cjo! Nice knife and family connection, I would remove the rust and any grime that might keep it from functioning properly, oil the joints and carry it proudly (unless you're in the habit of losing things 😉).
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Most if not all available research will show incorrect info on KA-BAR marks and dates. Your great grandpa's knife was made between 1947 or 8-1952.
cjo

Post by cjo »

Thanks so much for your replies, comments and suggestions. If anything I only want to remove grime and active rust. I have read that a penetrating rust solvent would work best. Any suggestions there?
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

For active rust, I use 0000 steel wool, 3-in-1 oil and elbow grease, followed by a carpenter's pencil and elbow grease. Then a q-tip and oil, followed by a clean rag from an old t-shirt. The first step kills the active rust and removes the gross particles. Then the second step removes smaller particles. The third step takes care of left behind debris and the fourth removes excess oil.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”