Can't identify maker

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Can't identify maker

Post by beresman »

This knife is about 3 inches long when closed. Handles are plastic (Celluloid or something similar). Two blades, marked only on the mark side of the main blade. The first few letters of the makers name are worn enough that I can't read them. What I can see for sure is "...NGEN CUTLERY GERMANY". Looks like there may be an "H: before that, but I'm not really sure.

I went through the list of maker's names in Levine, and the only one I found that ends in "NGEN" is Wingen, which doesn't look right, plus there is no "Othello" on the pile side. I don't think "Solingen" fits either, and there is no place called "Solingen Cutlery" as far as I can tell.

Of course, I only know what I know, which isn't very much. And I might very well have missed a clue somewhere.

Any other ideas who might have made this?

Brent
Attachments
IMG_1024.JPG
Photo on 6-17-21 at 2.10 PM #2.jpg
Brent
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Can't identify maker

Post by luckydog64 »

Solingen Cutlery is correct I think. You see them on ebay occasionally.
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.
richard

Post by richard »

luckydog64 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:41 pm Solingen Cutlery is correct I think. You see them on ebay occasionally.
yes solingen is the name of a place in germany . and the name of a cutler in germany.
richard

Post by richard »

Solingen, which is a city name,was the center of cutlery production, and a cutlery guild, in Germany. Numerous cutleries were once located there .
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

Thanks for the responses! I know that many knives were made (and some still are) in Solingen, but was/is there an actual firm called "Solingen Cutlery"? That was the question. I have numerous knives made in (and marked) "Solingen", but the cutlers have had a different names--Böker, Eye Brand (Schlieper), Hen & Rooster (the older ones), etc. And I see "Solingen Cutlery" in some eBay listings, but those always seem to be Svoboda knives. This doesn't have that marking.
Brent
richard

Post by richard »

The mark “Solingen” is not the name of a single cutler or sword assembler, but was adopted by all the city’s manufacturers to brand their reputation on edged blades and tools. indian or chinese. knife makers . have been known to stamp a false solingen marks.?

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”