Your Thoughts On This Boker

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Your Thoughts On This Boker

Post by Paladin »

Guys,
I got this knife in a collection I acquired a while back and I can't decide about the country of origin. The tang stamp does not show up in our charts but there is a very similar one. BOKER in block letters with the Tree Logo. I had convinced myself it is a USA Boker but the smallish round logo shield say Olbertz to me. I don't think it was made by Paki but I could be wrong on that.
What do you think? And thanks for any input.

Ray
Attachments
1-IMG_8612.JPG
1-IMG_8613.JPG
1-IMG_8614.JPG
1-IMG_8616.JPG
1-IMG_8617.JPG
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Your Thoughts On This Boker

Post by philco »

Ray I can't quite make out what is written on the shield. Does it say "Germany" or does it say "Solingen" ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

philco wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:30 pm Ray I can't quite make out what is written on the shield. Does it say "Germany" or does it say "Solingen" ?
Phil,
It says Germany.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Similar here at SMKW, says made in Germany
https://www.smkw.com/boker-traditional-folding-hunter
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

My understanding is that the current production Boker knives with "Germany" on the shield do not meet the criteria to bare the Solingen name. In order to have "Solingen" on them they must be made entirely in Solingen, Germany. A few years back I questioned a Boker rep about this while attending the Blade Show. He claimed that Boker was having parts made in China then shipped to Germany where they were assembled. I didn't buy his story then and I don't buy it now. I suspect there's just enough final assembly being done in Germany to allow Boker to still put "Germany" on the shield, but I think most of the work is done in China. The advantage gained by moving production to China is a significant savings in labor costs. It just doesn't make sense that they would have the automated part of the production done in China then have the labor intensive part of the production still done in Germany as that Boker rep claimed. Still a good knife, but not what it appears to be on the surface. Smoke and mirrors.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

philco wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:58 pm My understanding is that the current production Boker knives with "Germany" on the shield do not meet the criteria to bare the Solingen name. In order to have "Solingen" on them they must be made entirely in Solingen, Germany. A few years back I questioned a Boker rep about this while attending the Blade Show. He claimed that Boker was having parts made in China then shipped to Germany where they were assembled. I didn't buy his story then and I don't buy it now. I suspect there's just enough final assembly being done in Germany to allow Boker to still put "Germany" on the shield, but I think most of the work is done in China. The advantage gained by moving production to China is a significant savings in labor costs. It just doesn't make sense that they would have the automated part of the production done in China then have the labor intensive part of the production still done in Germany as that Boker rep claimed. Still a good knife, but not what it appears to be on the surface. Smoke and mirrors.
I agree..."Final assembly in Germany" likely means..."wrap the knife and put it in its box".
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

knifeaholic wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:23 pm
philco wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:58 pm My understanding is that the current production Boker knives with "Germany" on the shield do not meet the criteria to bare the Solingen name. In order to have "Solingen" on them they must be made entirely in Solingen, Germany. A few years back I questioned a Boker rep about this while attending the Blade Show. He claimed that Boker was having parts made in China then shipped to Germany where they were assembled. I didn't buy his story then and I don't buy it now. I suspect there's just enough final assembly being done in Germany to allow Boker to still put "Germany" on the shield, but I think most of the work is done in China. The advantage gained by moving production to China is a significant savings in labor costs. It just doesn't make sense that they would have the automated part of the production done in China then have the labor intensive part of the production still done in Germany as that Boker rep claimed. Still a good knife, but not what it appears to be on the surface. Smoke and mirrors.
I agree..."Final assembly in Germany" likely means..."wrap the knife and put it in its box".
:( Those American and German workers used to support families and pay taxes. I still have to buy Chinese toasters but I don't have to buy the knives.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

tongueriver wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:04 pm
:( Those American and German workers used to support families and pay taxes. I still have to buy Chinese toasters but I don't have to buy the knives.
I sure agree and I avoid them as much as possible. Sometimes I end up with one or two out of a collection.
I surely appreciate the input on this. Isn't it a shame that we have to do this on a fine old brand like Boker.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Hilarious Knifeaholic, you're killing me. True comedy. ::rotflol:: ::clapping:: ::rotflol:: :lol: :lol: ::ds::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
beresman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by beresman »

Ivoryman wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:35 pm

Hilarious Knifeaholic, you're killing me. True comedy. ::rotflol:: ::clapping:: ::rotflol:: :lol: :lol: ::ds::
You can laugh, but it's absolutely true. I used to work for a toy company, and product would be made in Hong Kong (this was before we had any kind of diplomatic or economic relations with PRC), and we would have things made there, add a little to it here in the US and package it, and if the total percentage of our cost was over a certain percentage, we could label it as "Made in USA". It was (and is) shameful.

Brent
Brent
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Well on a brighter note, fellers, Ray has posted some of the clearest pictures I have seen on AAPK in a while!! ::tu::
Good job, Paladin. You need to add to your business shingle, "Have Camera - Will Travel"! ::poke::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

treefarmer wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:47 pm Well on a brighter note, fellers, Ray has posted some of the clearest pictures I have seen on AAPK in a while!! ::tu::
Good job, Paladin. You need to add to your business shingle, "Have Camera - Will Travel"! ::poke::
Treefarmer
::tu::
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

treefarmer wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:47 pm Well on a brighter note, fellers, Ray has posted some of the clearest pictures I have seen on AAPK in a while!! ::tu::
Treefarmer
Thanks TF and TR... I seem to always have that one reflection in my pics. I would love to get it out of there but without changing rooms, I just can't seem to get it out.
I do appreciate your kind words though.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Germany seems to have really lax marking/country of origin laws; meaning minor finishing could allow a company to be able to state "MADE IN GERMANY". SMKW (and everyone else selling these) seems to be beating around the bush with the fact the "TS" or "Traditional Series" knives basically Chinese knives FINISHED, not made in Germany.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I trust both my brothers, my Wife, and two good friends. I'm not too worried about the folk on this forum. That's about it for trust.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

beresman wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:20 pm
Ivoryman wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:35 pm

You can laugh, but it's absolutely true. I used to work for a toy company, and product would be made in Hong Kong (this was before we had any kind of diplomatic or economic relations with PRC), and we would have things made there, add a little to it here in the US and package it, and if the total percentage of our cost was over a certain percentage, we could label it as "Made in USA". It was (and is) shameful.

Brent
Oh I know and agree fully. I wasn't laughing because of disbelief at all, I laughed because Knifeaholic NAILED it perfectly like a comedic genius. I know it's completely true and that's what makes it hilarious. Usually a truth behind great comedy and that one nailed it. No disrespect or disbelief here, I get it fully. I know how some of these companies operate and what is stamped on it isn't always where it was made. I'm on the same page. Great one though.

And hope I didn't put you off Treefarmer, I was being bright, and light, and acknowledging what I thought was a great humorous observation. Lit up my face, made my day, gave me a big smile and some serious comical irony. That's all.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

Ray if I am not mistaken all those bokers in the black box are like that.
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

Bottom line - if you want a real Boker, look for "Solingen" on the tang.
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

tallguy606 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:11 pm Bottom line - if you want a real Boker, look for "Solingen" on the tang.
This ::tu::
Eye Brand Collector

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”