Specific year for a John Primble?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Specific year for a John Primble?

Post by tvic »

Got this John Primble 5371 Stockman that is from the 1940-68 era. Research says it’s made by Schrade since there’s no star (correct?) However, I’d like to know if there’s any way to drill down to a more specific time period. Big difference (to me) if it was made in the 1940s, or 1950s, or 1960s. Any suggestions?
Attachments
BD133ACF-0189-4AFD-9BE7-B44665D9FADC.jpeg
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Specific year for a John Primble?

Post by btrwtr »

Later made knife from 60's made by Boker USA.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

btrwtr wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:43 pm Later made knife from 60's made by Boker USA.
I think so too, but wouldn't have Boker started using Delrin by about 1962?
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

That's a mighty fine looking knife there. I wish I knew the exact year when I listed it. Glad it went to a forum member.
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

I thought there was supposed to be a star on the number side of the tang if it was Boker - and Schrade if no star. And, Wayne, can you tell me what there is about the knife that indicates late sixties? That’s what I’m trying to find out.

And thanks, Doug. I really like the knife and am enjoying having it in my collection.
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I did not mean late sixties but a later made knife from the 60's and that is just my best guess. I believe these knives were offered by Boker with immitation pearl type handles into the mid 70's.

Wayne

Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

I would say made before 1973.
The clip blade is the same as in a Ulster 98.

Grant
Attachments
E9968D15-50FE-4F5E-93FE-CA17626D6BE7.jpeg
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have the same Primble Stockman and handles began to off gas badly so i removed the celluloid handles. It does surprise me that any USA made knife had cell handles after early 1960's.
kj
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Here is a Boker for reference. Many US companies were making gassing celluloid knives well into the 90's. Celluloid was not manufactured in the US but it was used.
Attachments
boker stock 1.jpg
boker stock 2.jpg

Wayne

tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Ok, sorry to be so dumb about this, but I’m confused. I’ve read in more than one place that if it’s Boker made, it would have a star. Mine does not. This AAPK thread is one place I got that info:
viewtopic.php?t=35836

With no star, I’m finding info that seems to indicate either Schrade or Camillus made. I don’t care who made it, really, just trying to nail it down. Would this info be in Goins Encyclopedia? I don’t have a copy.
Tim
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I am only 99.999% certain that the o.p. knife is a Boker U.S.A. (because it looks EXACTLY in every detail to those I have seen), but I am 100% certain that it is not a Schrade or a Camillus. As far as the star goes, this is the kind of minor mystery that is very common in knife collecting.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Schrade CutCo made this knife before 1946, but the blade grinds are very different and distinctive from Boker knives.
cutco 1.JPG
Cutco 2.JPG
Cutco 3.JPG
oblique001.jpg
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Ok, just for the sake of discussion, let me ask another question. Would there have been engraved/etched blades In the 1940s or 1950s? And supposedly the scales are “cracked ice.?” I have to admit I don’t even know what that is. Does that indicate a time period? From the tang stamp, it is obviously the 1940-1968 era, but I have to agree, based on looks, I would think it was the latter part of this era. Actually, if it weren’t for the tang stamp, I’d even say later. I don’t mean to wear out this thread, but it’s just curiosity eating at me. And by the way, thanks for everyone’s efforts and photos to help with this. Much appreciated!
Tim
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Different makers had different names and slightly different hues for the celluloid we often call 'cracked ice' or 'mother-of-toilet-seat.' Schrade CutCo used the term 'marine pearl' at times. I think versions of that pattern of celluloid showed up from at least the 1920s to the modern era. I am thinking they wanted to offer a poor man's version of mother of pearl.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”