Boker USA camp knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Boker USA camp knife

Post by Gone2Three »

Howdy friends,

I recently picked up this old Boker camp knife that was heavily covered in rust. I've cleaned it, but was trying to keep it as original as possible with some patina.
My question is about how old is it? Post WWII? Pre??? ... wasn't sure if the can opener design could help date it as they changed throughout the years.
Thanks for any information you can provide,
Randy
Attachments
20210601_160027.jpg
20210601_155551.jpg
20210601_155403.jpg
ScoutKnives

Re: Boker USA camp knife

Post by ScoutKnives »

Tang stamp dates it from 1945-83 .
I would estimate it’s closer to the 1945 side with those bone handles and iron bolsters .
Attachments
53121250-3FFA-4DF5-9754-5528AE1674A1.png
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

ScoutKnives wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:21 pm ::pray:: Tang stamp dates it from 1945-83 .
I would estimate it’s closer to the 1945 side with those bone handles and iron bolsters .
I'd reviewed the tang stamp chart previously before, had hoped to narrow down the timeline... so this helps, I really appreciate your reply and estimate ::handshake::
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Steel bolsters on an old US-made knife often points to being made during or shortly after WWII, when all nickel went into production of armor.
That is not definitive, but is often the case.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Reverand wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:16 am Steel bolsters on an old US-made knife often points to being made during or shortly after WWII, when all nickel went into production of armor.
Thank you for the info Reverand! ::handshake::

Going to sound like a odd question, but does anyone here on the fourm know how many different versions of can openers were produced over the years on these old camp/scout knives?...and if possible when were they introduced?
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Gone2Three wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:12 am
Reverand wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:16 am Steel bolsters on an old US-made knife often points to being made during or shortly after WWII, when all nickel went into production of armor.

Going to sound like a odd question, but does anyone here on the fourm know how many different versions of can openers were produced over the years on these old camp/scout knives?...and if possible when were they introduced?
I was thinking there is a thread here somewhere discussing the different types used by different cutleries and the time period.
Of course my memory sucks, so it might have been a magazine article.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

edge213 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:14 pm
Gone2Three wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:12 am

I was thinking there is a thread here somewhere discussing the different types used by different cutleries and the time period.
Of course my memory sucks, so it might have been a magazine article.
Intresting ::hmm:: I'll see if I can navigate a better search here... who knows, I might stumble upon it by accident
Thank you David ::handshake::

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”