Shapleigh Howe DE 3 blade

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Tanda

Shapleigh Howe DE 3 blade

Post by Tanda »

Hello, I am curious about this pocket knife that was my Dad's. He was a believer in always having a pocket knife with him and now that he has passed, we are finding so many that he had saved. This one caught my eye and based on the tang stamp I'm thinking it was made mid-40s to 60s. I would love if anyone has other info or history.

...and thanks for adding me to your group!
Attachments
20210530_105743.jpg
20210530_105732.jpg
20210530_102335.jpg
FRJ

Re: Shapleigh Howe DE 3 blade

Post by FRJ »

Welcome here, Tanda.

That is a very nice old stockman pocket knife.
A great family heirloom certainly worth hanging on to.
I cant tell you anything as to its age but I hope it grows older in your family.
Joe
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Your knife was made by Schrade Walden 1957-1961 (or 1962). If it was made in 1957 they were in the factory at Walden. If it was after 1957 they had moved to Ellenville, NY. Your knife is a model 881Y. The 'Y' stands for 'yellow.' It has celluloid covers. It is a very nice knife.
Tanda

Post by Tanda »

That is interesting, thank you both for taking time to look and respond! 😊
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Welcome, Tanda,

You have a VERY nice keepsake...one to hand down through your family.

Take a #2 lead pencil and rub the rust areas of the blades to take the rust off, wipe it down. It won't hurt the knife. Do not use sandpaper or anything gritty to clean the blades. Keep it oiled up and clean.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Tanda

Post by Tanda »

Thank you! I was wondering about the rust. This is definitely a keepsake. I may have more to post as we go through my Dad's treasures! He did love a good pocket knife.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Can't add to the good advice already given. But I noticed your thread title says "Shapleigh Howe" it should say section Shapleigh Hdwe, for Shapleigh Hardware Company. DE is for Diamond Edge which was a Shapleigh Hardware trade name for their top of line cutlery.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

And one more thing. I store my knives with celluloid handles with all blades completely (not partly) open, and in conditions that are as close as is practical to 'dark, dry, airy,' and away from other knives or anything metal. Sometimes that material will last more than a hundred years with no problem and sometimes it will take a notion to spew nitric acid gas. Don't be afraid; just respect it.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

good advise from all , good ole knife to keep! thanks for showing ::tu::
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”