Remington tang stamp

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
joefm

Remington tang stamp

Post by joefm »

Hey guys,

I came across an old Remington cattle pattern knife the other day. It is in really bad condition, but the reason i cleaned it up a little, is i noticed something i havent saw before. On the back of master blade it had a second tang stamp. This might be common for these knives during that time period, i dont know and im def. not a Remington expert. I took a couple pictures of it so maybe somebody knows what i have? The bottom line is hard to make out, but i think the tang stamp reads: Quick Point with St. Louis under it? Im not sure though so here is the pics-
E9CBF4EE-2DB8-4EF8-97EF-73FD1D2208B3.png
D130738C-B14E-4069-AC48-20D62B147FA7.jpeg
81809FCD-8614-471C-AFB8-703D3B37E7E5.jpeg
Railroad Joe
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Remington tang stamp

Post by herbva »

I've seen "Quick Point" on other old Remingtons but didn't know what it signified. You might get more information if you move your post to the Remington forum. But, I did a search here on AAPK for "Quick Point", and up came a long history of George Schrade. Here is the part where "Quick Point" is mentioned:

In 1937, George Schrade introduced a new design of fly-open knives on one or more blades. This design was introduced so it could be operated easily with one hand and to prevent its accidental release while carried in the pocket. One of these, called the flying jack, had a sliding latch mounted on the side, which could be produced with one or more blades. Another type, called the pull ball operated from the butt end of the handle.The pull ball came in a variety of latch ends, for example, dice, rings, eight balls, or different colors. They were manufactured for Remington, and known as quick point
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
joefm

Post by joefm »

Thanks for that. I had no idea, never heard of it before this!
Railroad Joe
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

The only thing Goins lists is, Quick Point St. Louis 1920-1940. Maybe someone will come along with more info, Joe. Nice find on that info, Herb.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I have one stamped Quick Point on the mark side main blade, but Winchester on the pile side.
Attachments
20210526_214654.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Somewhere in my pile is a small metal two-blade pen marked Remington on one side and Quickpoint over St. Louis on the other. I read that Remington made knives on contract for Quickpoint, but I can’t recall where I read it. ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
joefm

Post by joefm »

Thanks everybody. I wish i got to it before all the damage, it was a good one back then, im betting. It still has no play on the master and spey with half stops. The punch is broken off. I think im gonna put handles on it and give it to one of my girls.
Railroad Joe
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Quick point was an advertising company that would put your name, company name on all kinds of items. Remington made knives for them that they would personalize for someone else.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

According to the Remington chronology in LGIV, which Levine credits as being based on original research by Dennis Ellingsen, the Remington straight-line marked knives were made starting in the late 1930s and most, or all, of them were contract made for Remington??
Dan

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”