Dug Case Pocket Knife Age

Ask knife related questions here. Please answer some if you are an experienced collector!
Post Reply
T Clark
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:19 pm

Dug Case Pocket Knife Age

Post by T Clark » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:16 pm

I dug this Case pocket knife just outside Petersburg, Virginia a couple weeks ago while metal detecting! After a couple of days of electrolysis I could make out the CASE shield! The blades are rusted closed but appears to have two small and one larger blade overlapping each other! It measures about 3 1/4" ! All help on age and model would be greatly appreciated! Thanks my friends!
Attachments
20210414_135559.jpg

User avatar
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2296
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:43 pm

Re: Dug Case Pocket Knife Age

Post by Railsplitter » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:35 pm

Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

BCCI Member #3534

User avatar
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 35878
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:23 am
Location: The middle of the top of a bastion of Liberalism.

Re: Dug Case Pocket Knife Age

Post by jerryd6818 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:38 pm

Welcome to AAPK.

The pattern is half whittler. The age is anybodies guess. The value is 0$.

Rick is correct, possibly an 83 pattern. Tough to tell from the picture and all the rust if it has two secondary blades or one.

Click on image to enlarge.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

T Clark
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:19 pm

Re: Dug Case Pocket Knife Age

Post by T Clark » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:13 pm

Railsplitter wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:35 pm
Looks like it might be a pretty old knife.
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/co ... x-shields/

Possibly an 83 pattern.
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/co ... -76-90/#83
Thanks for the great info! It looks very similar to the model 83! As I said in the post it appears to have two small blades and one full size! Did the model 83 come with different handle material! From the looks of this one it was either bone or antler! Thanks again for all the help my friend! Greatly appreciated!

T Clark
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:19 pm

Re: Dug Case Pocket Knife Age

Post by T Clark » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:18 pm

jerryd6818 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:38 pm
Welcome to AAPK.

The pattern is half whittler. The age is anybodies guess. The value is 0$.

Rick is correct, possibly an 83 pattern. Tough to tell from the picture and all the rust if it has two secondary blades or one.

Click on image to enlarge.


Thanks for the info! I wasn't looking for a value as the value is in digging it up after many years in the ground and restoring it to a display type quality! I have a FB page and wanted to give a better description than just "rusty old pocket knife"! Thanks for the pattern type and possible model 83 pattern ID! That's a great start to my research! Have a great day my friend!

T Clark
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:19 pm

Re: Dug Case Pocket Knife Age

Post by T Clark » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:20 pm

Just as a reference...... this is what it looked like prior to any electrolysis!
Attachments
20210330_113924.jpg

Gunsil
Posts: 1915
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:25 pm
Location: Lower Hudson River valley, N.Y.

Re: Dug Case Pocket Knife Age

Post by Gunsil » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:48 pm

Glad to see you took my advise and came here. 83 pattern is 3&1/2" closed, if your knife is 3&14" it is not an 83. Hang on, maybe some more Case experts will chime in.

T Clark
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:19 pm

Re: Dug Case Pocket Knife Age

Post by T Clark » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:25 pm

Gunsil wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:48 pm
Glad to see you took my advise and came here. 83 pattern is 3&1/2" closed, if your knife is 3&14" it is not an 83. Hang on, maybe some more Case experts will chime in.
My Pops has collected knives for years so love the site! Thanks for sending me this way! I measured it again and is 3 1/4"! And by the shield charts.... I still can't find a shape and lettering that matches up so I'm all ears! Thanks again my friend!

msteele6
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 1896
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:29 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Dug Case Pocket Knife Age

Post by msteele6 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:45 pm

Probably a 6367 model swell center pattern. The shield would indicate an early Tested era knife, maybe a Bradford era but in any case circa 1920.
JMO.

User avatar
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 9880
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:28 am
Location: Republic of Texas

Re: Dug Case Pocket Knife Age

Post by Mumbleypeg » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:07 pm

msteele6 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:45 pm
Probably a 6367 model swell center pattern. The shield would indicate an early Tested era knife, maybe a Bradford era but in any case circa 1920.
JMO.
Bingo! ::tu:: Here is a thread with some pictures of the pattern. It would have looked similar. viewtopic.php?f=66&t=66398

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

ea42
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 2227
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:23 pm
Location: Wallkill, NY

Re: Dug Case Pocket Knife Age

Post by ea42 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:55 pm

Try finding one with the centered shield though, mighty elusive!

Eric

T Clark
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:19 pm

Re: Dug Case Pocket Knife Age

Post by T Clark » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:38 pm

msteele6 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:45 pm
Probably a 6367 model swell center pattern. The shield would indicate an early Tested era knife, maybe a Bradford era but in any case circa 1920.
JMO.
Wow! Nice ID and info my friend! Looks just like it in its glory!! Nothing like digging an old pocket knife but I love to learn as much about the artifact as possible and you've made my research complete! Greatly appreciated!

T Clark
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:19 pm

Re: Dug Case Pocket Knife Age

Post by T Clark » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:40 pm

Mumbleypeg wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:07 pm
msteele6 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:45 pm
Probably a 6367 model swell center pattern. The shield would indicate an early Tested era knife, maybe a Bradford era but in any case circa 1920.
JMO.
Bingo! ::tu:: Here is a thread with some pictures of the pattern. It would have looked similar. viewtopic.php?f=66&t=66398

Ken
Very nice to see it in its glory!! Thanks my friend for the link and info!

Post Reply

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”