knife value

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
sanford05@twc.com

knife value

Post by sanford05@twc.com »

I have a 1940 to 64 Case XX Muskrat. The old pocket worn redbone is pristine through out. In 1993 owner sent knife to Case to have blades replaced as they were accidentally ruined. The blade stamp casexx USA 1993 CV. the blades have not been used. How to people determine a knife value in a case like this? Thanks.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: knife value

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. It is difficult to place a value on a knife like that as it’s not original, and will be near impossible to find comparable knives that have sold, from which a value could be estimated. Having the blades replaced by Case probably helps some (especially if there is documentation to certify Case did the work), but the blades used in 1993 are different from what came on the knife originally. Case didn’t use “pocket worn” bone in the XX era so that wear likely won’t help either. Sorry I can’t help more but that’s my thoughts for what it’s worth.

Condition is paramount in collectable knife values, so pictures of the knife would be helpful.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Any expert opinions given would be based on seeing pictures of the knife. Show both sides of knife with blades open, and CLEAR close up pictures of the tang stamp.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:34 pm Welcome to AAPK. It is difficult to place a value on a knife like that as it’s not original, and will be near impossible to find comparable knives that have sold, from which a value could be estimated. Having the handle covers replaced by Case probably helps some (especially if there is documentation to certify Case did the work), but the bone used in 1993 is different from what came on the knife originally. Sorry I can’t help more but that’s my thoughts for what it’s worth.

Condition is paramount in collectable knife values, so pictures of the knife would be helpful.

Ken
Ken, he said the blades were replaced.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:38 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:34 pm Welcome to AAPK. It is difficult to place a value on a knife like that as it’s not original, and will be near impossible to find comparable knives that have sold, from which a value could be estimated. Having the handle covers replaced by Case probably helps some (especially if there is documentation to certify Case did the work), but the bone used in 1993 is different from what came on the knife originally. Sorry I can’t help more but that’s my thoughts for what it’s worth.

Ken
I corrected my post - knew he said blades but for some reason I wrote bone when I was thinking blades - had a brain fart when I wrote the reply. ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:41 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:38 pm

Ken
I corrected my post - knew he said blades but for some reason I wrote bone when I was thinking blades - had a brain fart when I wrote the reply. ::dang::

Ken
Sorry, I was typing as you did that. If the knife is a 1940 to 1964 XX that has had the blades replaced, then it is no longer a 1940 to 1964 knife. I wonder how the original blades both got ruined?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It is no longer a 'collectible' knife, or, does not have the value of a collectible knife. It could be sold as a good knife to carry & use.
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I agree with Roland, i.e., not original = not collectible. Doesn't mean it has no value, just not the same value that an original knife would have.

My advice: keep it, carry it and use it...that's where your best value is right there. ::tu::
~Q~
sanford05@twc.com

Post by sanford05@twc.com »

Thanks everyone. You've been a big help. I did figure that collector value would be practically nothing.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

If the handles are good, the knife still has some value. If the handles have issues, the value is mainly as a user.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

knifeaholic wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:41 pm If the handles are good, the knife still has some value. If the handles have issues, the value is mainly as a user.
Steve, can you please explain why this knife "has some value" ? Are there Case collectors who would want it just because of the old Case XX handles ? A knife mechanic could put the correct blades in it and then try to sell it as "all original".
kj
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:04 pm
knifeaholic wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:41 pm If the handles are good, the knife still has some value. If the handles have issues, the value is mainly as a user.
Steve, can you please explain why this knife "has some value" ? Are there Case collectors who would want it just because of the old Case XX handles ? A knife mechanic could put the correct blades in it and then try to sell it as "all original".
kj
Yes I have sold many decent frames with worn blades, mechanics will try to find better blades and install them.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

There is always a utility value in any knife that still functions and this is where the value of any knife is based priced. Any collectible value adds a premium to the knife. I would say that this knife would be valued as a using knife or at utility value. Value for parts or and collectible aspect would be based on pictures provided and like most values subjective.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

sanford05@twc.com wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:28 pm I have a 1940 to 64 Case XX Muskrat. The old pocket worn redbone is pristine through out. In 1993 owner sent knife to Case to have blades replaced as they were accidentally ruined. The blade stamp casexx USA 1993 CV. the blades have not been used. How to people determine a knife value in a case like this? Thanks.
Welcome to AAPK Sanford05! The Case Muskrat pattern is one of the very popular Case patterns, particularly the earlier ones like the XX (yours), Tested, and earlier, (if this pattern was made earlier). Yes, any replaced parts will diminish value significantly, but, as the qualified experts have already said, there is still value and demand as long as you are careful to clearly and completely explain everything that has been done to the knife. For example, one of the knives I have for sale on ebay this week is an XX Muskrat, that had OK (not great) blades and frame and badly broken bone scales on both sides. I replaced the scales, cleaned the parts up, and have it for sale now. If you check the following link, you will see there is at least some interest. I hope this helps, and best regards. Herb

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133709181962
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

If there is paperwork to prove that the blades were replaced by Case, then it definitely has a place as a carry knife. That is exactly what I'd do with it.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”