Traveler's Shabbos Folder

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
infusionator

Traveler's Shabbos Folder

Post by infusionator »

Hi all --

I ran across this a few months back and couldn't resist getting it. A friend who can read Hebrew told me it basically says Good Sabbath on the handle. It's used to cut the challah bread. But since it folds, I'm told it is specifically a "traveler's" knife for when one is away from home on the Sabbath. Wonder if anyone has seen these before. And how about the manufacturer. Seymour Stainless Japan. Anyone heard of them? Handles look to be faux pearl. As this is my first post, if I'm in the wrong subforum, just let me know. Thanks! Brian.
PXL_20201114_020700396.jpg
PXL_20201114_022117090.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Traveler's Shabbos Folder

Post by Madmarco »

infusionator wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:24 am Hi all --

I ran across this a few months back and couldn't resist getting it. A friend who can read Hebrew told me it basically says Good Sabbath on the handle. It's used to cut the challah bread. But since it folds, I'm told it is specifically a "traveler's" knife for when one is away from home on the Sabbath. Wonder if anyone has seen these before. And how about the manufacturer. Seymour Stainless Japan. Anyone heard of them? Handles look to be faux pearl. As this is my first post, if I'm in the wrong subforum, just let me know. Thanks! Brian.
PXL_20201114_020700396.jpgPXL_20201114_022117090.jpg
That's one nice folder you have there Brian, ::tu:: I almost bought a Kabar that is very similar to your knife, but I was advised that it was overpriced, so it was a no-go! ::td:: You posted under "Knife related Q & A", and seeing as you had questions about the knife, ::shrug:: you posted it properly. ::nod:: I haven't seen this particular knife before, but being built in Japan you can be fairly sure it's a quality piece! ::welcome:: to AAPK, you're gonna have a bunch of fun here! Mark! 8)
8)
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I am unfamiliar with the manufacturer. Glad to know the purpose of the knife - that is half the fun of collecting!
It does look to be well made, but I would doubt that it has much in the way of collector's value, except to perhaps a niche collector. Even then, it may be a common item in some countries.
A good find, and thank you for sharing it!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The knife is new to me, as are you. Welcome to AAPK. Pull up a chair and sit awhile.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
infusionator

Post by infusionator »

Thank you for the kind welcome everyone! ::handshake::
jmblades

Post by jmblades »

Congrats on your cool knife find. Actually, the words on the scale are Shabbat Kodesh, which means Holy Shabbath. The Hebrew word for good is tov, not kodesh. All the best...

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”