Broome cutlery

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
bocaj

Broome cutlery

Post by bocaj »

Picked this up and now have more questions than before. I’m pretty sure it is from Binghamton NY and I know it is old. But other than that I really need some help from group knowledge. Can anyone offer any info ?
Attachments
7EE64A75-8530-49CE-8828-8073243133DD.jpeg
21D34445-14B0-46D2-BF6C-A337857CE7CF.jpeg
kootenay joe

Re: Broome cutlery

Post by kootenay joe »

Why do you think it is from Binghampton N.Y. ?
It certainly is old.
I have never seen "Broome Cutlery" before and it is not in the commonly used reference books.
It could be German made and imported prior to 1891 and "Broome" was the name of the importer or merchant business who sold the knife.
Or it could be USA made and "Broome" is the merchant name.
Be interesting to see if any other AAPK members have seen this marking before.
kj
knivesbeforeforks

Post by knivesbeforeforks »

I'm new to pocket knives but it kinda looks like the replica "civil war" period reproduction knife I got from a company called Man the Line. How cool would that be if you had one that was from that era!?
civilwarknife.jpg
civilwarknife.jpg (12.26 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Even as a repro that is a cool looking knife. ::nod::
knivesbeforeforks

Post by knivesbeforeforks »

Thanks doglegg! I like it too, I guess it's just the sheer simplicity that makes me like it, no special materials just wood pins and steel :D
bocaj

Post by bocaj »

Binghamton is on what was known as Broome county NY in the 1800s from historical references I have. Also with no country and that old style font I decided to start there. Really nice snap and long pull. This thing will drive me crazy!!!
Attachments
3EFC0909-F468-42F4-866A-AAF838BC0911.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

That pattern of a single spear point blade with hardwood handles and top bolsters has been around for a long time, at least 200 years. It has been made in USA, Britain & Germany. There are German manufacturers who still make this knife pattern today. Some people refer to it as a "Boys' Knife" but it is a Barehead Jack. "Barehead" = no 'caps' (proper name for rear bolsters).
Beginning in 1891 manufactured items imported into USA had to be marked with country of origin. Your knife could be older than 1891 and an 'import', but my guess is it is a USA knife.
I have seen quite a few knives but never one marked with the name "Broome". So far no one here has posted that they have seen it before so it is a rare brand.
There are many here with much more experience with USA knives than i have and i hope some of them will post a comment or guess as to it's origin.
kj
bocaj

Post by bocaj »

I can’t thank you enough for the feedback. I’m going to continue my search and hope by luck I find an old historical society or library reference. I appreciate knowing your summary. Thanks again. Jake
bocaj

Post by bocaj »

I received a wonderful review from the official historian (historical society) of Broome (Binghamton NY)

That's the good news.... unfortunately they group did a significant amount of study and concluded its a very nice knife, very historic but NOT associated with their area... Just wanted to finish the details thus far.

Back to square one.........

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”