What the heck is this for??

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Froe

Re: What the heck is this for??

Post by Froe »

Mine is only marked "STAINLESS STEEL JAPAN".
The curved scalpel like blade is sharp.
The pointy blade comes down to a very sharp point that is flat on one side and convex on the other. It also has a fingernail file on one side.
The curved tube is soldiered on. It doesn't fold out fully straight from the knife. It stops at a 90 angle from the body of the knife.
It's very solid with the stainless slab sides over 1/16" thick. The pins protrude from the sides and are peened broadly, not quite domed. It's not built like a give-away, more like a working knife.
If you figure it out, let me know please.
Froe
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have seen the thin sharp curved blades on Manicure knives. I THINK it is for cutting off the 'quick' at the base of fingernails.
This does not mean it is the only use or the intended use on OP knife.
I think my 'set up' is better than any pocket knife could be for getting oxygen into a person with an obstructed airway.
If you have access to basic medical supplies you can easily create the same set up and it would be much easier to use than trying to do an emergency tracheotomy.
I do hope this mystery gets solved. If it was made for doing an emergency tracheotomy there must be some published literature about it, even if just an insert that came with it.
kj
just bob

Post by just bob »

“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

just bob wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:00 pm We've actually seen this before;

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60699&p=707169&hilit=tube#p707169
Thank you Bob, I thought we had discussed a item like this before, but I couldn't find it.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I had forgotten about this knife having been shown before and Charlie N. saying he had seen them given out at medical conventions for doing an emergency tracheotomy.
So the OP is correct and i am wrong (again). However i do think it would be awkward to use for this purpose. Good luck if you ever have to try.
kj
just bob

Post by just bob »

I wonder if anyone knows why if you go to Google and search for - tracheotomy + knife - these results on AAPK do not come up? I have noticed many times when using Google to get information on knives the AAPK hits come right up. Has something changed?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Maybe changing the thread titles to Tracheotomy knife will help with future searches?

Like I did on this thread about my Apothecary knife. It still pops up in a google search. Still hoping someone will figure it out. But I suspect it also was a give away.

viewtopic.php?t=55273
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Maybe Google has blocked us because of the Political and Controversial Topics Forums. :wink: :wink:

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”