Cleaning Knives

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
jmpaige

Cleaning Knives

Post by jmpaige »

what is the best cleaner or product to use on old pocket knives that need some cleaning up? I don't want to damage them.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Cleaning Knives

Post by orvet »

That is kind of a broad question for a simple easy answer it all depends on the product, what kind of handles it has, how dirty it is, size etc.
I wouldn't wash a Corvette the same way I would wash and own dirty log truck.

One of the gentlest ways to clean a pocket knives, if warm water will not damage it, is to put some tap water in a sonic cleaner and 3 or 4 drops of Dante dish soap.. They've been around for years used clean jewelry among other things, they're very safe. After a while the the to get warm inside and that helps to clean better also.
I covers the knife with water and and in a small sonic cleaner use several several tops
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Here is a compilation of posts that addresses cleaning knives. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54157. You can find useful tips for cleaning just about every part of a knife.

This question comes up so often I have recommended this be made a “sticky” thread so it could be more easily found. So far it hasn’t been - you have to know where and how to look for it. ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jmpaige

Post by jmpaige »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:23 pm Here is a compilation of posts that addresses cleaning knives. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54157. You can find useful tips for cleaning just about every part of a knife.

This question comes up so often I have recommended this be made a “sticky” thread so it could be more easily found. So far it hasn’t been - you have to know where and how to look for it. ::dang::

Ken
Thanks for that... Some of these are so dirty and what not I can tell there is a tang stamp just need to clean it to figure out what it says. Wish me luck and thanks for the information link.
jmpaige

Post by jmpaige »

orvet wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:14 pm That is kind of a broad question for a simple easy answer it all depends on the product, what kind of handles it has, how dirty it is, size etc.
I wouldn't wash a Corvette the same way I would wash and own dirty log truck.

One of the gentlest ways to clean a pocket knives, if warm water will not damage it, is to put some tap water in a sonic cleaner and 3 or 4 drops of Dante dish soap.. They've been around for years used clean jewelry among other things, they're very safe. After a while the the to get warm inside and that helps to clean better also.
I covers the knife with water and and in a small sonic cleaner use several several tops
Thanks, wish I could give you more information, but basically I am trying to read unreadable tang stamps I think cleaning them up a bit might help make them more legible.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

If you’re mostly just interested in reading the tang stamps I’ll save you some reading. Get a number 2 lead pencil, sharpen it. Using the lead (graphite) point, gently scrub the tang stamp area with the graphite. Then use a soft cloth to wipe away any excess loose graphite and crud from the blade that will be loosened by your actions. The graphite is very mildly abrasive and will remove loose rust and tarnish without damaging the stamp or the knife blade.

There are more aggressive techniques that can be found in the posts I referenced previously but most tang stamps can be revealed using the pencil technique. Tip - If you’re doing a lot of knives use a carpenter’s pencil. The “lead” is thicker so it doesn’t break off easily and will not require re-sharpening as often.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jmpaige

Post by jmpaige »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:39 pm If you’re mostly just interested in reading the tang stamps I’ll save you some reading. Get a number 2 lead pencil, sharpen it. Using the lead (graphite) point, gently scrub the tang stamp area with the graphite. Then use a soft cloth to wipe away any excess loose graphite and crud from the blade that will be loosened by your actions. The graphite is very mildly abrasive and will remove loose rust and tarnish without damaging the stamp or the knife blade.

There are more aggressive techniques that can be found in the posts I referenced previously but most tang stamps can be revealed using the pencil technique. Tip - If you’re doing a lot of knives use a carpenter’s pencil. The “lead” is thicker so it doesn’t break off easily and will not require re-sharpening as often.

Ken
That is fantastic advice. So the pencil won't hurt anything. Thank you!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”