Help for identifying/cleaning this fixed blade?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
audreyc

Help for identifying/cleaning this fixed blade?

Post by audreyc »

I’m fairly new here, and to the world of old knives generally, but I love all kinds of blades, especially fixed ones. Thank you in advance for your help!
My great grandpa was a fantastic hunter and brought this knife around with him at all times for gutting deer, self defense, general housework, etc. It was recently given to me by my grandmother and I want to try and remove some of the patina so the metal is more visible, and just generally shine it up a bit. The leather belt holster he used is also pictured, it’s not in great shape but I’m keeping it anyway!
CCC0B634-AF9B-48C9-8565-763BE80B6C24.jpeg
I’ve already removed loads of rust with steel wool and the stamp/tag is now visible near the handle, it’s made by Lane Cutlery Co. in New York. I haven’t been able to find what make/model it is, but I have seen similar knives with different handle patterns. I believe it’s got a stick tang if that’s any help, I can see the square end of the tang on the bottom of the handle.
If anyone has tips for how to clean her up or info on what kind of blade it is, I would much appreciate your help! :D
A8EBBD5C-3903-4522-93F8-50C7B910E89D.jpeg
Berryb

Re: Help for identifying/cleaning this fixed blade?

Post by Berryb »

My first guess was Home made. You have a tang stamp so at least the blade came from somewhere else. My next guess is the handle is not original to the knife.
As for cleaning it up, I would not do any more. If you got it all shiny It would no longer be your grampa's knife, just a piece of metal and plastic with no history.
Bruce
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Knife may be marked Lane Cutlery, but the knife was made by Weske in Sandusky, OH. These can be found with several different marks, I don't know who Lane was, probably a hardware or retailer's brand. Weske was only in operation from 1946-1952 if my memory is working. Weske also made all the Sanssouci DR knives and what a lot of people thought were KA-BAR UDT knives. Weske is known for their segmented celluloid handles like yours, often with swirled colors. Sheath looks a little big for the knife but many sheaths gave out before the knife. I think it will look best with just a steel wool and oil finish/cleaning, but I prefer patina to a buffed up finish on old knives. If you like 'em shiny a paste metal cleaner like Simichrome is used by some folks.
audreyc

Post by audreyc »

Holy cow, thank you so much! We all thought for years the sheath was original and the knife was from the early 40’s, so all the info is super helpful. God bless allaboutpocketknives.com
Gunsil wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:37 am Knife may be marked Lane Cutlery, but the knife was made by Weske in Sandusky, OH. These can be found with several different marks, I don't know who Lane was, probably a hardware or retailer's brand. Weske was only in operation from 1946-1952 if my memory is working. Weske also made all the Sanssouci DR knives and what a lot of people thought were KA-BAR UDT knives. Weske is known for their segmented celluloid handles like yours, often with swirled colors. Sheath looks a little big for the knife but many sheaths gave out before the knife. I think it will look best with just a steel wool and oil finish/cleaning, but I prefer patina to a buffed up finish on old knives. If you like 'em shiny a paste metal cleaner like Simichrome is used by some folks.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Welcome to AAPK! I'll be another vote in the "I like patina" club. I like Gunsil's steel wool and oil, to remove any overt rust...then, keep a light coat of oil on it. It's a nice knife; especially coming from your grandfather. I'm sure he would be proud that it's in your care now! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
::welcome::
::handshake::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK! Count me in the camp,that believes an old used knife should look like an old used knife - I hate rust but I love patina on carbon steel knives. For discussion and tips on knife cleaning see this viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54157. Probably more than you ever wanted to know. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Here's one similar to yours on ebay, and the write up alludes to what Gunsil was saying about the Ka-Bar / UDT knives of WWII. FWIW

You have a wonderful keepsake from your Great Grandfather. I echo what others have said about just keeping it in its original state.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-SCARCE-PO ... SwwrlcXcwN

Welcome to AAPK. Hope you stay around and join in on the fun. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

And I'll just add...

WELCOME! ::super_happy::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”