Handle pins

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Bowhatchie

Handle pins

Post by Bowhatchie »

Folks....what are the most common pin sizes for handles and bolsters... for pocketknives not fixed blades
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Handle pins

Post by Jeffinn »

You’ll probably get a different response from each person that answers.
For handle pins I generally use 1.6mm pin stock for smaller knives and 2.0mm pins for most of the others.
Bolster pins vary by manufacturer but I use a lot of 2mm and 2.3mm pin stock. For steel pins I machine down steel nails and use those (machined to fit the pivot hole in the bolster).
Lately Ive been using a lot of pre fabricated pins that come with one head already formed and just require peening on the back side for a lot of my handles.
Hope this helps.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I keep several sizes in stock:
8B494DF9-7556-438A-BC36-CF57F955A3F2.jpeg
The four pipes on the left is my Brass stock:
3/64", 1/16", 3/32", and 1/8" (it looks like it has leprosy, but it is one of several old brazing rods with bad flux that I haven't scraped off yet)

The four pipes on the right hold my Silvered Nickel:
1.5mm, 2mm, and 2.5mm in one pipe.
1/16", 3/32", and 1/8" in others.

I used to carry fewer sizes, but I hate spinning down pin stock whenever I can help it. It is such a waste of money!

And I agree with you, Jeff. I bought a pack of those Schrade pre-made handle pins from Discount Cutlery, and I love using them when they fit!!!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I went back and read your question and see you're looking for the most common sizes. But I'd already uploaded my pictures though I thought I would show you how I store my pins.

This is my pin stock, the most common one for the lengths, although some company sell in three-foot legs at my local Ace Hardware
these are the pieces of in stock I cut to length to make my own pre-spun pins. Not all pins are spun, it's pretty difficult to spin 1/32" brass pins. Usually those are peened.
standing pin stock.jpg
These are pre-spun brass pins in assorted sizes. I spin a head on one end and then spend the other end after it is installed in the knife.
The two sizes I use the most, primarily because I work on Camillus and Schrades for the most part but most Camillus had .081" rocker pins and the smaller knives had .072" rocker pins. Most of the pivot pins on the larger knives are .081" and some large lock backs may have 1/8" pivot pins. I also pre-spend a lot of 1/16" brass pins because I use them to attachment handles.
pre-spun brass pins.jpg
These are some pins that I have purchased over the years. Mostly I have nickel silver and brass, although I have a few other trays with stainless pins in them. That tray full of nickel silver bands probably weighs 8 pounds, may be more. I shudder to think of how many dollars I have tied up in that tray because for a long time the going rate was about $5 to $7 per 50 pins, some even more.
Pin trays.jpg
These pins are factory handle pins for attaching the scales called tubular pins. They are small and end is hollow so it's easy to peen, and they are pretty easy to use; the downside is it takes a special drill or two drills to inset the head in the handle. But Schrade used a lot of these and Camillus used some as well. They come in both brass and nickel silver.
semi-tubular pins.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Bowhatchie

Post by Bowhatchie »

Many thanks guys for the response and the detailed information offered!!!!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”