How do you tell “red stag”

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Dgood187

How do you tell “red stag”

Post by Dgood187 »

In Case XX 1940-1964 knives?
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: How do you tell “red stag”

Post by btrwtr »

Red stag is just an anomaly that you see from time to time on Case XX knives. It is the same stag as on all the other XX knives that has a different color to it. I don't believe there is any criteria for it but there should be some reddish or orange color to it. And as with any natural material you would hope the texture and color is close to matched on each side.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Dgood187 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:25 pm In Case XX 1940-1964 knives?
Dgood187 you’ve made several posts inquiring about Case red stag. Do you have any red stag knives? If so let us see some pictures!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Dgood187

Post by Dgood187 »

This is actually my first post about red stag but I just purchased a case peanut xx (1940-64) in stag an when I was looking it up I noticed that a red stag version is super rare so I wanted to know how to distinguish between the two ?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Dgood187 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:36 pm This is actually my first post about red stag but I just purchased a case peanut xx (1940-64) in stag an when I was looking it up I noticed that a red stag version is super rare so I wanted to know how to distinguish between the two ?
Sorry, I was confused. ::dang:: It’s “milo” who made some posts recently asking about red stag.

Anyway, I agree with what Wayne said. It’s just regular stag that happens to have some red in it. But I think more recently Case has dyed some stag to have red in it, and marketed it as such. Would still like to see some pictures of your red stag if you can.

Here’s one I have that has some red. I don’t know if it would qualify to be called “red stag” or not though. ::shrug:: The pile side is plain stag.
F8478D0A-A631-4368-8008-D0A948DB943C.jpeg
Also have these. Not sure if they qualify either. Comments and opinions welcome!
C1061FED-A233-491A-88CB-821F0E6FF8BA.jpeg
A6FAD5BF-8657-42DE-91EB-E7731B476A47.jpeg
Attachments
C3DEB6C6-C74D-4DA2-B06E-C94C7BDE069E.jpeg
5464F12F-7A58-4064-82C5-018CC71047FC.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Dgood187

Post by Dgood187 »

Thanks ken those are beautiful! I don’t have any red stag yet but when I get this peanut in I will post a picture
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks. They all do have some red or shades of red, but I’m not sure they’re what’s called “red stag”.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

The red deer species could account for another "red stag." And then, maybe not. I've seen some pretty good antlers on red deer in Scotland. Anyone know 'bout that?
geocash
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

A few red stags from a past collection ::tu::
Attachments
9D4B7894-355E-4F59-BAD4-6EEAFFF158A1.jpeg
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Those are some stunning beauties Larry. But you wouldn’t have anything less! ::tu::
geocash wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:59 pm The red deer species could account for another "red stag." And then, maybe not. I've seen some pretty good antlers on red deer in Scotland. Anyone know 'bout that?
Here’s a recent thread with some comments about the red deer species, as it pertains to Case anyway. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66275

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

as pappy used to say ....
it's in the eye of the beer holder
:lol:
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:22 am Those are some stunning beauties Larry. But you wouldn’t have anything less! ::tu::
geocash wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:59 pm The red deer species could account for another "red stag." And then, maybe not. I've seen some pretty good antlers on red deer in Scotland. Anyone know 'bout that?
Here’s a recent thread with some comments about the red deer species, as it pertains to Case anyway. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66275

Ken

Thanks, Ken. I'm curious what deer provided the antlers for Boker, Olbertz & such. Even Sheffield makers. Sambar may be recognized as best but I see a lot of stag on old knives that I'm pretty sure isn't from India.
geocash

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”