Ka Bar skinner

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
tinroof

Ka Bar skinner

Post by tinroof »

Got a few old Ka Bar's, but I thought I needed this one too to fill my empty spot. Now I just need to fill in the blanks, it has no model identity on the blade. It is 8" long with a 4 1/8" blade and leather stack handle. From the tang stamp, and AAPK notes, it was manufactured between 1943 to 51. Hoping someone has a catalog listing of more details. Thanks for your help.
Attachments
MVC-016S.JPG
MVC-017S.JPG
MVC-018S.JPG
MVC-019S.JPG
Gunsil

Re: Ka Bar skinner

Post by Gunsil »

Nice example! Your knife is a model 5205. It was made post war as evidenced by the aluminum pommel, nickel guard, and lead plug in the pommel. I would give a fairly educated guess that it can be narrowed down to circa 1945-1948 or 1949. The pre-war designation for this blade was model 205, the 5 prefix is a code for leather handle. No KA-BAR hunting knives will have model numbers stamped in the blades until sometime after 1966 when the company was sold to Cole National. I do not think the model numbers got stamped on the blades right away when Cole took over, it more likely took a year or more for that to happen.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

So... KA-BAR stamping changed to Kabar about 1951, and model numbers about 1966/67? Any links to further info on stampings, etc.? Thanks to all.
tinroof

Post by tinroof »

That certainally fills in all my blanks. Obviously, the knife makers in past years did not take seriously the value of history of productions, partly because we collectors were not around. Their primary objective was marketing and making a profit. I would suppose that your research and my interest in details are simply mutual sympathy, Thank You for your time and response. AAPK is a wonderful resource to fill the gap.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

tinroof wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:59 pm That certainally fills in all my blanks. Obviously, the knife makers in past years did not take seriously the value of history of productions, partly because we collectors were not around. Their primary objective was marketing and making a profit. I would suppose that your research and my interest in details are simply mutual sympathy, Thank You for your time and response. AAPK is a wonderful resource to fill the gap.
Agree. I think it safe to say no manufacturing company, knife makers or otherwise, take seriously the value of history of productions beyond any histories needed for quality and reliability traceability. As you said, they are in business to make and sell products.

As pertains to knife making history, that has changed since about 1970 when Case V.P. of marketing Bob Farqueharson realized (with help from knife collector and author Dewey Ferguson) there were people collecting knives who wanted to know the age of the knives they were collecting. Which prompted Case to begin intentionally date coding the year of production via markings on their knives. And an attempt by Case to approximate dates of use of their varied tang stamps. The dates were provided to Ferguson, and subsequently published by him and others. Those approximate dates (supposedly based on the best recollection of long-time Case employees) are now widely accepted as “gospel truths”. In essence Farqueharson recognized that in this instance documenting the history of productions could aid Case in selling knives. Otherwise I doubt anything would have changed.

Other cutleries followed suit eventually. And the rest is “history”.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”