An old Pseudo-Hackman Butterfly Knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Nephilim

An old Pseudo-Hackman Butterfly Knife

Post by Nephilim »

I already have one of the old red nylon handled Hackman's and I find them to an interesting collectable. Before Hackman was making the nylon handled butterfly knives, they had produced a version with metal handles, red scales (some plastic, presumably) and the same sort of wire latch. According to the listings I've seen, these were made around 1965.
I acquired a knife in that style, but I don't think it was made by Hackman and I was hoping you folks could enlighten me as to its origin.
My pseudo-Hackman, in the closed position.
My pseudo-Hackman, in the closed position.
Compare that to an actual metal handled Hackman (not one of mine, got the pic off of an appraisal site):
Not a great pic, but you can see the important details.
Not a great pic, but you can see the important details.
So the original Hackman has the words "Sorsakoski" and "Hackman&Co" on the plastic scales. The inlays are attached to the handles with some large flat head screws and "Hackman Finland Stainless" is etched on the blade.
In my knife the darker red acrylic scales are pinned to the handles, there are no logos or markings anywhere on the knife (though the blade is worn and might have once had a marking) and the latch is coiled piece of wire, rather than the simple thick U shaped latch on the Hackman. So, who was making Hackman knockoffs at the time? I know that there was a Swedish company making an outdoors style butterfly knives back in the 40s and 50s, but I don't think they ever made one like this. Here are the rest of the pictures of my knife.
20200315_133038 (2).jpg
20200315_132959 (2).jpg
20200315_132946 (2).jpg
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: An old Pseudo-Hackman Butterfly Knife

Post by deo-pa »

Welcome to AAPK! ::welcome::

Yours looks very much like a vintage Waltco butterfly knife. Do a Google search on “vintage waltco balisong knife” and check out the images. I am no expert (I only own one butterfly) so I am going strictly on superficial appearance and have no idea of markings or other manufacturer indicators. Perhaps a balisong guru will chime in soon.

Edit: If you enter “Waltco” in the AAPK store search box you will see one that sold. If you look at those photos you will see it is very clearly marked. So perhaps yours is not a Waltco or maybe it’s a Waltco from another era. We need the guru. :)

Dennis
Nephilim

Re: An old Pseudo-Hackman Butterfly Knife

Post by Nephilim »

deo-pa wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:13 pm Welcome to AAPK! ::welcome::

Yours looks very much like a vintage Waltco butterfly knife. Do a Google search on “vintage waltco balisong knife” and check out the images. I am no expert (I only own one butterfly) so I am going strictly on superficial appearance and have no idea of markings or other manufacturer indicators. Perhaps a balisong guru will chime in soon.

Edit: If you enter “Waltco” in the AAPK store search box you will see one that sold. If you look at those photos you will see it is very clearly marked. So perhaps yours is not a Waltco or maybe it’s a Waltco from another era. We need the guru. :)

Dennis
Thank you! I hadn't heard of Waltco before, but upon looking it up I see what you mean. The Waltcos look like they always have a big, bold stamp of the side on the handle, so I don't think mine is of that manufacture, but you definitely put me on the right track. I'm starting to think this is a "Heming Outdoor Pocket Knife" by Hemingway manufacturing in Chicago. I didn't think this would have been a pre-ww2 American knife. What a fascinating surprise.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”