Antique Hobo with Unusual Tang Stamp - Any Info?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Antique Hobo with Unusual Tang Stamp - Any Info?

Post by knifeaholic »

This hobo looks like it was made by Union Cutlery Co. The handles look like jigged bone, but in fact are jigged black composition.

Wanted to find out if anyone has documentation of the tang stamp. I have seen it before but I have no idea as to what company it was made for.
Attachments
IMG_1667.JPG
IMG_1668.JPG
IMG_1669.JPG
IMG_1670.JPG
toolboy

Re: Antique Hobo with Unusual Tang Stamp - Any Info?

Post by toolboy »

Magnetic Cutlery Co c. 1900 - 1932
Once had a (about 5 1/4") 2 pc hobo, 2 pc pearl with a nickel silver divider in the center
it was very near mint, looked like a KA-BAR or Union Cut to me, marked the same as this one
A guy that had a knife book had appraised it for $28.00
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

toolboy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:31 pm Magnetic Cutlery Co c. 1900 - 1932
Once had a (about 5 1/4") 2 pc hobo, 2 pc pearl with a nickel silver divider in the center
it was very near mint, looked like a KA-BAR or Union Cut to me, marked the same as this one
A guy that had a knife book had appraised it for $28.00
Thanks for the info...interesting.

IIRC, the other one that I saw long ago with this mark was a large 2-piece hobo with bone handles, so yur example would be consistent.

I usually think of Magnetic Cutlery Co. as a German brand, but maybe they were (like ROMO) an importer and distributor having knives made both overseas and in the USA, or maybe there was more than one Magnetic.

Thanks again.
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

It sure looks like a KA BAR (Union Cut Co) made knife to me. Probably made by Union for Magnetic Cut Co. What does the marking say on the back of the fork? Hard to see in the pictures. Also do you have pics of it taken apart?

Nice looking Hobo.
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”