Vintage Kossman knife?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Papas-toybox

Vintage Kossman knife?

Post by Papas-toybox »

Internet has nothing, so I'm including a couple of pictures. I know it's very old, but the only information that might be related is the German Company Kassmann from Baden-Baden Germany. These are the only 2 photo's I have as the knife belongs to someone else.

The bottom knife in the 1st photo is the one in question. The top knife is a New York Knife Company knife from Walden NY.

Appreciate any info anyone can provide.

Thanks.
Kossmann2.jpg
Kossmann1.jpg
Kossmann3.jpg
Ben Ogle

Re: Vintage Kossman knife?

Post by Ben Ogle »

Hi there! I don’t have the info you are looking for, but someone here will. It’s interesting, as like you said the internet has no information at all. Hope you get all of your answers, and I can’t wait to hear them!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

It is a fleam used for bleeding animals(and at one time humans).Looks like two of the blades are broken. Handles are horn.The way it was used the point of the blade was laid against a vein and the spine of the blade struck with a stick to induce bleeding which was thought to be beneficial for sick animals.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

The fleam is by NYK, Pappas is asking about the Kossmann. Goins lists J Kossmann Baden but offers no info about them. I believe Baden is the place it was made and Kossmann the maker.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Just looking at the Kossman one can see that it is a horticulture knife, used for bud grafts I believe.
With the blades present there it could be used for pruning as well as grafting. Nice old knife! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
Ben Ogle

Post by Ben Ogle »

I really hope someone replies to this post with some information on this knife. I’m very curious ::suspense::

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”