G & G Cutlery Co, Buffalo NY

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
LongBlade

Re: G & G Cutlery Co, Buffalo NY

Post by LongBlade »

richard wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:53 pm
LongBlade wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 pm Richard - (Aaron) Burkinshaw is not from England (though he emigrated to the US - Is that what you meant by an English whittler?) and is quite collectable ... his shop started for a short time in CT during the mid 1800s but within a few years he moved up to Pepperell Mass where his shop remained until the early 1900s and though he died in 1880 his sons continued the cutlery...
thank you for the info lee. i knew he was born in sheffield england. i thought it was made there.so it seems it was made in pepperell mass, buy him or his sons?but one of the blades has CUTLERY CON .stamped on it ?
it is a well made knife.still walks and talks ,no blade wobble.i dont think it is worth much. as it is modified.but i like it as it is.
Looking at the handles and the blade partly marked Cutlery Con(n) makes me think the knife has been cobbled.. Burkinshaw stamps from his shop in Buryville Conn are almost nonexistent but I am sure somebody has one in a collection somewhere - the shop in Conn was in Buryville and they never stamped the blades with Cutlery... In Pepperell they had a few variations but none with Cutlery... Interestingly and as an aside I have a knife with 2 Burkinshaw blades in a skeleton frame with ivory but I think it was also cobbled - I've been meaning to post it as a cobbled example and will try to do so later today...

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”