Half Stops

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Rotten

Re: Half Stops

Post by Rotten »

Love the sound and feel of a good half stop knife and any knife that has them gets an extra long look. The GEC 29 wasn't to interesting to me until I learned it had half stops and have come to like it so much there are very few days one isn't in my pocket. My Case Bose stockman collaboration is also a amazing half stop knife.

That said I picked up a GEC Bull Moose that has the smoothest action (non half stop) of any knife I have ever owned or handled and is the knife that I have come to judge all others by.

Either system when well done is a joy to use.
Trace
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I think I like the nostalgia of half-stops more than the functionality. Old, antique Case, Cattaraugus or New York Knife Co/Walden knives seem to demand the walk and talk of half-stops. Visually, they are appealing as they tend to square up the ends of closed blades. Funny how some knife makers don't use them on all the blades on some folders . . .

So, yes, I guess I do like half-stops. ::nod:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My understanding is that vintage Sheffield knives do not have half stops. The pre 1891 Jos. Rodgers pen knives, half congress and other patterns that i have do not have half stops. Some of the more recent vintage Sheffield knives do have half stops often only on one blade.
There are some collector 'purists' who see a half stop as incorrect for a true vintage knife.
I don't think it takes more skill to make half stops than to make a smooth opening blade & spring without a half stop. When spring tension is 'just right' there is no need or benefit of a half stop. If spring tension is stronger than needed then a half stop might save a finger cut on closing the blade.
For pen knives no half stop = more class.
kj
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

The responses here have all been great. For me it depends on the pattern. Love them on congress and barlows. I also own two sodbuster's with half stops and they just feel right.
TPK

Post by TPK »

I personally like em, although I don't have many knives with them. I tend to look at em as an added safety feature & I just find them to be COOL!
::hmm:: ...::hmm:: ... ::hmm::
Yep, I guess that's it, I just find them to be "COOL". All that talk about "added safety feature" is just some BS I like to tell myself while the real truth is, I just think they're COOL! :mrgreen: In my mind, I almost feel like I'm showing off or braging when a knife has a half stop. Makes me think I got a much "Higher Quality" knife in my hand. ::shrug:: Of course that's probably BS also to think that way but I do for some strange reason. :mrgreen: I guess, if there were two almost identical knives, one with, and one without half stops, I would be willing to pay 5-10 $ more for the one with half stops just because I like them and they give me that feeling of getting a "Higher Quality" knife. ::shrug::

Tom
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I like them, but I've never associated quality with them. seem to me that most of my congress knives and jackknives have them while very few of my cattle, stockman,trapper and hunters do. I guess I associate half stops more with patterns than anything else.::shrug:: ymmv. ::handshake::
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I have about 20 knives with half stops. I wish all of my knives with the exception of the
ones which are hard to open had them. I associate the half stop with the knife maker
taking an extra step in putting together a nice knife. When I catalog my knifes ( I have
about 50 of them) I indicate the half stop.

Bob
Attachments
IMG_1123.jpg
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Not a fan of half stops, much prefer a nice smooth opening pull without the interruption. I find a half stop to be more of a safety hazard then anything else actually. The blade wants to jump from open into the half stop, then once that is overcome, it wants to jump again into the closed position. Without it, I am in control of how far the blade closes, and for me, that control equals a safer smoother opening and closing procedure.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

So you're saying you're a control freak? ::poke::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

If made properly (not too stiff a main spring) I like a nice smooth half stop;. I have a newer Queen Cutley # 32 4 blade that has a half stop on all four blades. Because of the extra time in making one, I always think they are a more quality knife. ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Half-Stop fan here.. ::groove::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

terryl308 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:52 pm If made properly (not too stiff a main spring) I like a nice smooth half stop;. I have a newer Queen Cutley # 32 4 blade that has a half stop on all four blades. Because of the extra time in making one, I always think they are a more quality knife. ::handshake:: Terry
I think making a tang with or without a half stop takes the same amount of time and care to get it 'just right' for smooth operation. The older vintage knives were not made with half stops. Not sure when or where half stops were first created but i think it was in the late 1800's, like circa 1880's ? Certainly on pen knives up to about 1860's there were no half stops, in my experience.
Would be great to read an authoritative article on this topic, but i have never come across one.
kj
wlf

Post by wlf »

The skill,I think, Roland is getting the springs flush at half stop. Most all my farmers jacks have half stops on the budding blade , but not the pruning blade. Even the pre 1891 Sheffield Wostenholm.

I like 'em. :D
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

I have to say at one time I could care less if a knife had half stops. But now that I am older and started to accumulate more pocket knives. Note!! I said accumulate not collect. ::dang:: If I see a knife that has half stops I will definitely give it a second look and more than likely purchase it. ::ds::
This knife accumulating is like an addiction. :shock: :shock:
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:07 pm The older vintage knives were not made with half stops. Not sure when or where half stops were first created but i think it was in the late 1800's, like circa 1880's ? Certainly on pen knives up to about 1860's there were no half stops, in my experience.
Would be great to read an authoritative article on this topic, but i have never come across one.
kj
KJ - With all due respect buddy and in my collection I have multiple knives with half stops from early Sheffield... Just as an example this quill knife (1820-27 - GcrownR) has a half stop - in fact I checked a few others no later than mid 1800s and at least one blade had a half stop.. obviously not all had half stops but they did exist... I do seem to find many half stops on early American blades as well...

Blade Open DSCN0284.JPG

Post by kootenay joe »

Lee, thanks for this correction. I was remembering a BRL post but perhaps it was just that half stops came along some time after folding knives were first produced.
What is the name for blade action that does not have half stops ?
kj
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:47 pm Lee, thanks for this correction. I was remembering a BRL post but perhaps it was just that half stops came along some time after folding knives were first produced.
What is the name for blade action that does not have half stops ?
kj
"Smoooooth" ::rotflol::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:47 pm What is the name for blade action that does not have half stops ?
kj
I seem to recall seeing them referred to as cammed blades?

I do not think that half stops are a sign of extra quality or craftsmanship. If the guy making the knife used steel bar stock for the blade, by leaving a half stop he saved a small length of stock and also saved himself the effort of rounding the tang.
Mel
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Here's an illustration of what I meant by, "Visually, they are appealing as they tend to square up the ends of closed blades." Not sure how old this knife is, nor do I know anything about CROWN CUTLERY Co. SHEFFIELD, (yet). Just picked this one up but I find the half stops with the squared off finish appealing, and that's why this knife caught my attention. ::nod::
Attachments
IMG_20200222_191408570.jpg
IMG_20200222_191455157.jpg
IMG_20200222_191207006.jpg

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

1967redrider, there is a name for that particular type of construction. I know I have seen it in Levine's, but cannot locate it right now. That is an interesting looking knife, have you posted it anywhere else on the forum? I would like to see more of it.
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Levine calls this type of joint as "square & clean" but this has nothing to do with half stops. The vast majority of knives with half stops have the usual joint (aka pivot).
kj
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:56 am Levine calls this type of joint as "square & clean" but this has nothing to do with half stops. The vast majority of knives with half stops have the usual joint (aka pivot).
kj
Thanks for the "square and clean" name. I was pretty sure it was something like that, but could not remember exactly.
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have also seen and used "flush & square" which i think gives a more accurate description.
kj
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

danno50 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:47 pm 1967redrider, there is a name for that particular type of construction. I know I have seen it in Levine's, but cannot locate it right now. That is an interesting looking knife, have you posted it anywhere else on the forum? I would like to see more of it.

More pictures here, danno-

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60339&p=797809#p797809

Would like to know more about this mystery knife maker. ::nod::

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”