Old empire knife?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
BeefStew

Old empire knife?

Post by BeefStew »

Hi everyone. I just signed up for the community after trying to do some research on a knife I acquired. I purchased a bag at a garage sale that had mostly coins in it. But it also had a couple pins and this knife. It is stamped Empire U.S.A. on the blade and is stamped O.M.D. U.S.A. on the hasp (I believe it's called). The scales appear to be brass and are engraved C~A~L on one side and 9~14~86 on the other side. After researching Empire Knife Co, I learned that they shut their doors in 1930. This would make the knife very old if it's legit. I couldn't find any info on the O.M.D stamp except one instance that referenced OMD Mfg Co. I have a few questions for anyone with knowledge in these knives.

First, is this a legit Empire knife?

Second, what is OMD? The maker of the scales? I saw an Empire knife that had Tiffany Co in this exact spot.

Third, the engraving appears to be very precise and possibly machine engraved. Could this be a more modern engraving or could they achieve this quality that long ago?

I appreciate any info you all have.
Thanks for reading this.
Brian
Attachments
20191213_082751_HDR.jpg
20191213_082801_HDR.jpg
20191213_082729.jpg
20191213_082651.jpg
ea42

Re: Old empire knife?

Post by ea42 »

Brian Welcome!!! The O.M.D. is the initials for Oscar M. Draper. They were a gold watch chain and clasp maker out of Massachusetts, actually might still be in business. I think that might be a more modern version but I'm not positive on that at all. Just an observation judging by the tang stamp and blades.

Eric
BeefStew

Post by BeefStew »

I googled Oscar M Draper and it appears you're right! That's one down. I was hoping the clasp was gold but I highly doubt it because it isn't stamped so. Thank you for the information and your input!

Brian
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The clasp on the old gold colored handled knives is often gold, 14K. Are you sure they are always marked ?
kj
BeefStew

Post by BeefStew »

I can't be sure without testing it. It does appear gold but I've seen a lot of examples that are stamped.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”