Question about the Canadian mail service

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Question about the Canadian mail service

Post by treefarmer »

I've been following the thread concerning the USPS and all the issues that AAPK folks have encountered. What about the Canadian mail? I have a bone to pick and don't know where to start. ::disgust::
On October 2, 2019 I sent a package to one of our members in Saskatchewan. I sent it using the recommendation of the lady at the post office. I told her I wanted to ship, insured, tracking all that comes with the flat rate shipping. I knew it would be more than the usual small box price. So we got all that figured out and I asked about the insurance and she said since it is going international the insurance would cost $80+ since they could not guarantee what would happen to the package. So I ended up with regular insurance, the ticket says up to $200.00. This shipment cost me $25.85.
So begins the journey of my box inside of a padded FR envelope (what ever that is) headed for Saskatchewan, as the was the most economical,practical way to send the package.
The package left Chipley, Florida, went to Pensacola, then back passed Chipley to Orlando, then on to Miami. From there it went some where in Canada through Customs Clearance then on to Vancouver where it has been held in Customs since October 10th. All this info comes up using the tracking #.
Is this standard operating procedure for Canadian mail to be held so long?
Several months ago I bought a couple of knives from the same member and the knives arrived in in a reasonable time but it was many days before my payment was delivered to him. ::shrug:: Now we have made a trade and again I received his knives in a reasonable time but my side is hung up somewhere. Bottom line, my end of the bargain is being held up and if my part of the trade is "lost" I am obligated to my Canadian friend. I would be very afraid to try and return the his knives to him after this experience. I will pay him what he was asking and hope the payment makes it to him.
Frustrated is an understatement! Any body got any suggestions?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Question about the Canadian mail service

Post by danno50 »

Treefarmer, so far the only time Canada Post has touched your package is to deliver it to the Customs office, which is an entirely different organization. Your parcel went from Miami to Vancouver, where it was delivered to Canada Customs. It is Canada Customs holding up your parcel. I am surprised that it went from Miami to Vancouver, usually mail from the east side of the US goes to Ontario and the customs office in Mississauga. I have received likely 200 or so parcels from the US and never had a problem. The longest I have had Customs hold anything was 6 days, and that was an exception. Usually they release the parcel the next day or so. The few that were held longer usually came through Vancouver, not Ontario.
Once Customs releases it back to Canada Post, it can take anywhere from 2 to 7 days to get to Saskatchewan. If it is going to a rural area there should be no problem as it will likely go into a post office box. In the city, the mail man often leaves packages on the doorstep, if it will not fit into the mail slot. This can be a problem. I have an agreement with my mail carrier to never do that. I once came home and the kids next door were playing soccer with a box of my knives. However, when my regular carrier is away, packages are often left on the doorstop.
Still, there are lots of bad stories about Canada Post. When I was working, I travelled a lot. My girlfriend collected postcards, so I would try to send here as many as possible. Once I sent two postcards at the same time. I dropped them in a mail box in a city on 150 miles from home. One of them was delivered the next day, the other one never made it. I also sent two from a backwoods area of Alberta. One was delivered in three days, the other one took 10 days.
I have been lucky, I have never had a knife go missing from either USPS or Canada Post.
Sorry for being long winded.
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Canada Customs sort station in Vancouver is known to be slower than the other location in Toronto area. Spending a week in Vancouver Customs depot is not unusual. But eventually it will be turned over to Canada Post and then as Dan says, delivered to him about 5 days later.
This is why i have a P.O. box in Northport WA. Takes 4.5 hours, or more, to make the return trip but i prefer this to the uncertainty of delays in Canada Customs. Also as i return into Canada, if the Canada Border Agencies officer wants to see a specific knife, i am there to make sure he handles it with due care, no peanut butter sandwich in his other hand !
Don't worry treeframer, the parcel you sent will arrive.
kj
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

KJ,
Thanks for the encouragement! Time will tell.
Treefarmer

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Also, Roland, you have intimated to me in private that there are recreational stops between your place and Northport!
Did you not have a large problem with 'honest' authorities in Canada some years ago?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Calvin i must be getting forgetful. I cannot recall any instances with 'authorities' or any recreational stops. Maybe send me a PM to refresh my memory ?
thanks, kj
p.s. i wish the recreational stop was a girlfriend but i'm sure i would remember.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Just a quick update: The package I sent to a member in Saskatchewan from Florida has finally been delivered! It left our post office on October 2 and has been on a wonderful trip, Pensacola, Orlando, Miami, Vancouver, undisclosed Canadian post office finally delivered yesterday morning, October 28. ::clapping::
Now I'm dealing with a gentleman in Germany but at least he has a US address. ::tu::
Treefarmer

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Glad they made it! That was an excessive amount of time spent in Canada Customs! I don't understand why USPS sent it from Miami to Vancouver in the first place. Packages from the eastern side of the US used to come to me through Chicago and then to Canada Customs in Ontario?
Dan

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”