My search for a pre-WWII civilian/boy scout knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
tongueriver

Re: My search for a pre-WWII civilian/boy scout knife

Post by tongueriver »

PvtRossi wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:19 pm What do y'all think about this bad boy? I haven't bought it yet.
s-l1600.jpg
Very heavy wear. I don't know your goal or your budget.
PvtRossi

Post by PvtRossi »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:34 pm That looks like a nice one. Missing its bail though if that means anything to you.

Ken
Noticed that unfortunately. Finding a bail to replace it would be an easy job?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Probably easier to find one with bail intact. Some folks have here might make one for you but not sure what it would cost.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
conslade
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by conslade »

The 1st Special Service Force (also called The Devil's Brigade, The Black Devils, The Black Devils' Brigade, and Freddie's Freighters),[1][2] was an elite American-Canadian commando unit in World War II, under command of the United States Fifth Army. The unit was organized in 1942 and trained at Fort William Henry Harrison near Helena, Montana in the United States. The Force served in the Aleutian Islands, and fought in Italy, and southern France before being disbanded in December 1944.
The above was cut and paste from Wikipedia. This group had a very cool utility knife made for them by Ulster. It was a five bladed knife, with the fifth being a Phillips screwdriver. The bail was flattened and was stamped U.S. (the only military marking). Of course, this one is rare and expensive. I have owned two of 'em and, like a dummy, sold both. Good luck!
This was also the first ever U. S. Special Forces unit.
We are all smarter than any one of us. Let us learn from each other.
eveled

Post by eveled »

5FA09F39-5285-43B2-BBA7-334C402B5ADB.jpeg
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

Just got to see this post. Here is my Dad's knife. He carried it every day and used it plenty. I remember him having it in the 50's and 60's. I don't know how long he owned it before then, but it could have easily been in the 1940's. The camera focused on the bolster not the tang, but I think it is Cattargus Cutlery Little Valley. I am interested if any has info.
Attachments
20191202_165604[1].jpg
20191202_165408.jpg
20191202_165419.jpg
20191202_165456.jpg
20191202_165631.jpg
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Treejakal wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:24 pm Just got to see this post. Here is my Dad's knife. He carried it every day and used it plenty. I remember him having it in the 50's and 60's. I don't know how long he owned it before then, but it could have easily been in the 1940's. The camera focused on the bolster not the tang, but I think it is Cattargus Cutlery Little Valley. I am interested if any has info.

Great knife with a great story!!

Yes it is a Cattaraugus Whittl Kraft knife. It was made in both BSA and non-BSA versions. In fact IIRC they made some for LL Bean.

The blades are all designed for whittling. The blade that appears to be a punch is sort of a chisel blade. The bottle opener has a semi-sharpened edge at the screwdriver for rough shaping.

Catt sold the knives individually and also as part of a whittling kit that included a booklet, wood blocks, and a cloth bag.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

Thanks for the great info Steve, any idea on its age?
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

The BSA versions of the Cattaraugus whittling knives were made between 1932 and 1943 (all were pre-war). There is one story where the design of the knife was based on the results of asking boys at a National Jamboree for the features they desired in a pocket knife. There is also a story that the knife was designed when the BSA began the whittling merit badge in 1927. I have no facts to backup either story but both could be possible. They also made a 4-blade version without a bail and 3-blade versions that were the same length closed as the 4-blade versions but without the screwdriver/cap lifter blade. And given the provenance of yours, the value is priceless. ::handshake:: Hope this helps along with what others have added. Tom
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

Found an pic of one without the bail in good condition
Attachments
cat.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

One of my favorite patterns. Great old knife and a wonderful story to go with it. It’s always fun to hear about family heirlooms.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the story. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”