American made traditional

Ask knife related questions here. Please answer some if you are an experienced collector!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: American made traditional

Post by Mumbleypeg » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:42 pm

Eye Brand Man wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote:Here’s a U.S.A. Utica made within the last few years. Very good quality fit and finish, Delrin handle covers. On par with Camillus, better than Bear & Sons IMHO. Limited sample size but I bought two of these and both were good. Got them off the Utica web site IIRC. https://uticausa.com/. From the homepage go to products>everyday carry, then scroll down. Most of the U.S.A.-made line now appears to be tacticals and fixed blades but there are a couple of traditional patterns in the on-line catalog.

Ken
I believe these are genuine bone. I've got a couple of these newer Uticas and there bone.
You are correct sir! I had forgotten but after seeing your post I looked, and indeed it is bone. Very nice bone too! ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

OSCAR

Post by OSCAR » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:36 pm

Received the USA Utica I bought today. Beautifully made. Tight, great snap, no wobble and great edge ! On further examination, I noticed a milled out void in the handle. It had been missing the shield! Got it new on Amazon. If it was meant to be a working knife I could care less. I bought it as a collectible. No it didn’t fall out. The shield wasn’t in the box and the knife was wrapped in paper. There appears to be no residual cement in that spot. Would seem it left the factory that way. I’ll contact them to see if they can send me a shield. I won’t return for exchange. Might get a worse one. Other than that, it is superbly made. I guess it can serve as a working tool if Ithaca don’t make it right. Could also be Amazon undercuts everyone else by selling seconds?
Has anyone else gotten flawed merchandise from Amazon? Just curious if I should pay more elsewhere and get what I am supposed to get for the money. Thanks !
The most useless thing ever is a dull knife.

cody6268

Post by cody6268 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:28 pm

OSCAR wrote:Received the USA Utica I bought today. Beautifully made. Tight, great snap, no wobble and great edge ! On further examination, I noticed a milled out void in the handle. It had been missing the shield! Got it new on Amazon. If it was meant to be a working knife I could care less. I bought it as a collectible. No it didn’t fall out. The shield wasn’t in the box and the knife was wrapped in paper. There appears to be no residual cement in that spot. Would seem it left the factory that way. I’ll contact them to see if they can send me a shield. I won’t return for exchange. Might get a worse one. Other than that, it is superbly made. I guess it can serve as a working tool if Ithaca don’t make it right. Could also be Amazon undercuts everyone else by selling seconds?
Has anyone else gotten flawed merchandise from Amazon? Just curious if I should pay more elsewhere and get what I am supposed to get for the money. Thanks !
All but one of my Bear and Sons were obviously seconds, and all came from Amazon. While not marked as such, the quality was bad--so bad that they were safety hazards. Boxes on a couple had been retaped. Finally ,I said to heck with it, and bought an older Sears Craftsman 45201 (a rebranded Bear Jaws, sold in the 1990s). Now it's actually good.

OSCAR

Post by OSCAR » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:39 pm

Cody, I am not doubting it after my experience. I contacted Utica knife to see if they can send me a shield. They called me right back stating that they hadn’t made this knife in years. They said they will send one if they can find one. Apparently it is new old stock. Nevertheless it’s a beautiful knife . It would be great if they can find me the shield as this is a collectible and not a working knife but either way it’s a keeper thanks now
CE1D4A7C-D315-43FA-BE09-4CE340B1C89A.jpeg
I learned my lesson. No more knife purchases from Amazon !!

OSCAR

Post by OSCAR » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:51 pm

I wish Utica still made traditional folders.
Attachments
86E5B5DF-CC62-44EE-8CED-CB3CEE226776.jpeg

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”