Japanese Knife - Circa 1953

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Old Hunter

Re: Japanese Knife - Circa 1953

Post by Old Hunter »

Rowland it is complicated but here goes a very brief overview: The ARNG & ANG (Air National Guard) are both reserve components of their respective services (US Army & US Air Force) and train to the same standards as set by their services for all Reserve Components - they can be mobilized for active Federal duty in the USA or anywhere in the world the President sends them (WW-I, WW-II, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, OIF/OEF to name a few famous actions over the last 100 years). When not in Federal status they are in state status (i.e., they are the Organized Militia of the 54 states and territories of the USA) and in that capacity the ARNG & ANG report to the Governor of their state/territory. The Guard is one of the very few organizations in the USA that is both state and federal. The Guard can be used to enforce civilian law without violating the Posse Comitatus Act without a declaration of martial law. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Here are the responses I have gotten from a couple of people fluent in Japanese.

Initially, there was some discussion that the characters were Chinese, not Japanese, but that was dispelled by more knowledgeable men. There are some characters that are used in both countries, as well as in Korea.

In Japanese, the inscription reads:

"濃州関住兼成作 Nōshū Seki ju Kanenari saku." Yes, this is Japanese, but a much older form that is only used for Nihonto (Japanese swords). Modern Japanese people can't read it unless they study the swords. It is much closer to Chinese than the modern Japanese style. "Noshu" indicates where he lived (Seki, Japan). "Saku" indicates "made this"."

"Kanenari was a Navy Sword Smith. Born in Taisho 15 (1926)."

And this is from a Japanese Sword website, NIHONTO CLUB, Japanese Sword Information Website:

https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/KAN1751

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Amazing ! The scabbard inscription is about the knife maker not about the presentation as a thank you gift.
Old Hunter thank you for explaining some of the diverse roles of the ARNG.
kj
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thank you Charlie! I will pass this knowledge back to my Dad and to Mac’s widow - both will be interested in knowing all about the inscription (as I am). Thanks again! Bruce

KJ, you are welcome.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

This is the only photo of Mac that I am aware of from the Korean War. OH
Attachments
40233F87-230E-4BBF-A461-2E8496674E6B.jpeg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Great stuff fellers, I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks ::handshake::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Great stuff fellers, I really enjoyed reading it."
I agree ! And it is a great knife too ! made by a traditionally trained Japanese knife smith. Very special.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”