Japanese Knife - Circa 1953

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Old Hunter

Japanese Knife - Circa 1953

Post by Old Hunter »

Someone share your information on Japanese knives with me on this one, a ceremonial presentation knife (I think). Here is the story; my Cousin Mac was mobilized with the local ARNG unit in 1950 and sent to the Korean War. He left as a young Sergeant, was promoted up to MSG as Chief of Smoke for a FA unit in the 24th ID in Korea, and was then promoted to 2LT while still serving in Korea with the 24th. After a year in Korea he was sent on a two year tour as a Field Artillery Advisor to the brand new Japanese Defense Forces (set up by the USA to repel possible Soviet expansion into Japan). When Mac left Japan for the USA he was presented this knife by the Officers of the JDF FA unit he helped form and advise. Mac eventually worked his way up to Brigadier General in the ARNG before retiring in the mid 1980's. Mac died a year ago at age 88, leaving me his GO pistol, belt and buckle, and a Buck 105 field knife he carried in the ARNG. He had given this Japanese knife to my Dad, who last week passed it to me for safe keeping (Dad, a retired ARNG 1SG, is getting older and in declining health too, and has given me several of his military trophies to keep). Can anyone tell me about this knife and can anyone here read the inscription. Thanks, OH
Attachments
3150C791-CC95-44FA-997B-A34A460D5235.jpeg
64DC2FE9-E2BA-4E8C-B78D-09680B0DD46F.jpeg
E7503184-AF5C-4808-BF7E-27893241798E.jpeg
258C2D91-FA7E-4886-9817-5F6D680E3206.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
knife7knut

Re: Japanese Knife - Circa 1953

Post by knife7knut »

Although the handle and sheath appear to be plain the blade looks to be very well crafted.If it were mine the first order of business would be to have the inscription translated into English.You might try the Japanese sword forum(nihonto).Looks like a really nice knife and the story is even better! ::tu::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

PM incoming.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The pin that goes through the handle likely comes out and the blade can then be removed from handle. The tang is likely marked with Japanese characters that will ID the maker. It might be quite a valuable knife.
As k7k said you need to post it in a forum that specializes in forged Japanese knives & swords to get an accurate assessment.
If you ever think of selling it i would like to know, and many others here are also likely interested. It is a beautiful knife. Very clean 'lines'. No fluff embellishments.
kj
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

I would agree with KJ in that the handle pin probably comes out and the handle could be removed. The makers mark would probably be on the tang. I have worked on several Japanese swords and that is true with those anyway. Nice knife! ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I cropped one of the photos and posted the inscription only, to a military website.

As soon as I weed all the humorous and vulgar responses from the serious, I'll let you know. ::facepalm::

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

As an example, this was the first response:

"Why did you guys drop the A bomb on us?"

I was, however, referred to man currently living on Okinawa and I have messaged him with the photo.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Gentlemen, thanks for all the information and help. I very much appreciate it. This knife will stay in our family, unfortunately I am the last of the ARNG line (every generation in our county since it was the Kings Militia in pre-revolutionary days). I have one niece that is a Regular Army NCO, the only member of her generation to serve in any branch. She doesn’t know it now, but eventually all the military items I am currently the custodian of from our family history will be hers (I sure hope she wants them!). Looking forward to learning what the inscription is. I will check the pin and see if there is a mark on the blade tang. Bruce
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
eveled

Post by eveled »

Neat knife. It doesn’t have that tourist look to it. So it may be valuable. I’m looking forward to learn more about it.

Interesting to me that 10 years after the war we were in place to protect our enemy from one of our allies.

Crazy world we live in.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

eveled wrote:Neat knife. It doesn’t have that tourist look to it. So it may be valuable. I’m looking forward to learn more about it.

Interesting to me that 10 years after the war we were in place to protect our enemy from one of our allies.

Crazy world we live in.
I've always though Japan and Germany rose quickly, to world powers...in part, because they didn't have to put money in to a military...like we have...since WWII
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
eveled

Post by eveled »

Doc B wrote:
eveled wrote:Neat knife. It doesn’t have that tourist look to it. So it may be valuable. I’m looking forward to learn more about it.

Crazy world we live in.
I've always though Japan and Germany rose quickly, to world powers...in part, because they didn't have to put money in to a military...like we have...since WWII
Military spending pretty much crippled the Soviet Union too.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Old Hunter, what does ARNG stand for ?
I think the inscription on the scabbard has to do with the presentation but certainly would be helpful in maker's name is in there as well. But unlikely as tradition is for maker to place his markings on tang and so are concealed, opposite to self promotion.
kj
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Roland, ARNG stands for Army National Guard - the Minutemen. OH
Attachments
1F7C68F2-5E2B-4E93-A8A4-58F9B3AAAAAA.jpeg
1F7C68F2-5E2B-4E93-A8A4-58F9B3AAAAAA.jpeg (53.84 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
lenny357

Post by lenny357 »

Just stopping by...neat knife; looks like you will get the translation. ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks O.H.
So National Guard is deployed for duty on USA soil only, not international ?
kj
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Rowland it is complicated but here goes a very brief overview: The ARNG & ANG (Air National Guard) are both reserve components of their respective services (US Army & US Air Force) and train to the same standards as set by their services for all Reserve Components - they can be mobilized for active Federal duty in the USA or anywhere in the world the President sends them (WW-I, WW-II, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, OIF/OEF to name a few famous actions over the last 100 years). When not in Federal status they are in state status (i.e., they are the Organized Militia of the 54 states and territories of the USA) and in that capacity the ARNG & ANG report to the Governor of their state/territory. The Guard is one of the very few organizations in the USA that is both state and federal. The Guard can be used to enforce civilian law without violating the Posse Comitatus Act without a declaration of martial law. OH
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here are the responses I have gotten from a couple of people fluent in Japanese.

Initially, there was some discussion that the characters were Chinese, not Japanese, but that was dispelled by more knowledgeable men. There are some characters that are used in both countries, as well as in Korea.

In Japanese, the inscription reads:

"濃州関住兼成作 Nōshū Seki ju Kanenari saku." Yes, this is Japanese, but a much older form that is only used for Nihonto (Japanese swords). Modern Japanese people can't read it unless they study the swords. It is much closer to Chinese than the modern Japanese style. "Noshu" indicates where he lived (Seki, Japan). "Saku" indicates "made this"."

"Kanenari was a Navy Sword Smith. Born in Taisho 15 (1926)."

And this is from a Japanese Sword website, NIHONTO CLUB, Japanese Sword Information Website:

https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/KAN1751

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Amazing ! The scabbard inscription is about the knife maker not about the presentation as a thank you gift.
Old Hunter thank you for explaining some of the diverse roles of the ARNG.
kj
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thank you Charlie! I will pass this knowledge back to my Dad and to Mac’s widow - both will be interested in knowing all about the inscription (as I am). Thanks again! Bruce

KJ, you are welcome.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

This is the only photo of Mac that I am aware of from the Korean War. OH
Attachments
40233F87-230E-4BBF-A461-2E8496674E6B.jpeg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Great stuff fellers, I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks ::handshake::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Great stuff fellers, I really enjoyed reading it."
I agree ! And it is a great knife too ! made by a traditionally trained Japanese knife smith. Very special.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”