Unsual Cut Rite knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
raincrowe

Unsual Cut Rite knife

Post by raincrowe »

A great little 3 bladed knife...3 1/4 inches closed....the large blade stamped... front side... CutRite... and engraved on blade...Premium Quality...back side of blade is stamped 4749 the other two blades unmarked....This knife appears to be near mint with beautiful gold handles and nice shield....the unusual thing about this knife is I can't find any information about this knife anywhere...I was thinking maybe Carl Schlieper's Eye Brand.... .but came up empty there also...I Need help on this one....Thanks in advance!! ::tu::
Attachments
SAM_1028.JPG
SAM_1027.JPG
SAM_1025.JPG
SAM_1024.JPG
SAM_1022.JPG
SAM_1029.JPG
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Unsual Cut Rite knife

Post by glennbad »

Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like epoxy or glue is blobbing out near the bolsters. If that is the case, this may be a knife that has been re-covered. That, or a real crappy manufactured knife. The shield fit doesn't look that amazing either.

Overall, I like the look of the knife, but I really don't know anything about that brand.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Goins’ has
Cut Rite c 1933-34 “Germany” stamped on back of tang. A trademark of Utility Blade Company.
Yours doesn’t appear to have the Germany stamp. Maybe a different company, or one Mr. Goins didn’t see. ::shrug:: Or is it stamped Germany? What led you to think it’s a Schlieper?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Any relation to the wax paper company?

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
richard

Post by richard »

recovered for sure,they should have put some bone on it, or even wood covers. still a nice knife. i like it.
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Mumbleypeg...Just a wild guess.... I was going by the way the knife looks and feels in hand..... the other mark are the numbers 4749 does that mean anything?....Did Goins have a picture of the Utility blade knife?...The knife looks to be near mint nothing hanging out the back just a glitch in the pic.. I snapped two more pics.....Thank you now I know what country and the years produced!...Although I would like see another one hopefully someone has one!! ::tu::
Attachments
SAM_1031.JPG
SAM_1030.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Goins’ didn’t have any pictures of it. What I quoted is all there is.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The blade etch "Premium Quality" is seen on many German knives. Have you inspected all tangs with a loupe ? "Germany" should be on there because i do think it is a knife made in Germany.
kj
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Ken & Kj…... I looked with a loupe didn't see any German stamp...I also compared it with a knife..... an Imperial IKCO with the same type handle and shield but don't believe its that one either!!
Attachments
SAM_1034.JPG
SAM_1033.JPG
SAM_1032.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Imperial is a USA made knife. Those synthetic handles were used on knives made in USA and in Germany.
It is a mystery knife. No country of origin name usually indicates a USA made knife.
kj
RobesonsRme.com

GERMANY might have been an etch, not a stamp. If so, it was easily removed or worn off.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have never seen "Germany" as an etch, only as a stamping. It is possible that some were imported with an etch that was removed before knife got to retailer. Could have happened post WW II to get around anti German consumer sentiment. However the O.P. knife is the only one i can remember in which i thought a knife was German that was not marked Germany, other than the fancy sample knives that have no markings what so ever.
Charlie did any of the German Robesons arrive with an etch "Germany" ?
kj
wlf

Post by wlf »

Nice knife whatever, does resemble Boker’s etchings, not that it is.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
RobesonsRme.com

Robeson's German imports were stamped as such.

I have been told by a knowledgeable AAPK member that knives with a GERMANY etch, to satisfy the 1891 tariff laws, were imported and the etch was removed after arrival.

Not sure the OP knife fits the proper date range for that.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

At one time Parker had knives made in Germany, with Germany inked on the backside (pile side) of the master blade. They were knockoffs of several different well known old brands. The ink stamp is the only COO marking and is not hard to remove with the right solvent or polish and a little elbow grease.

However I doubt the OP knife is one of those as it’s not marked as a well known brand.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Ken....I found a Schmidt & Ziegler knife with similar blade etch.... also numbers on the pile side... could this be the cutlery that made this knife?
Attachments
SAM_1045.JPG
SAM_1044.JPG

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”