This is a “replace” fix. Searching online for celluloid with the proper thickness and pattern was a virtual bust.
Then there was the problem of forming that celluloid to the correct contour of the shell. It seemed like a hopeless case, especially the amount of effort for such an inexpensive knife; so finding a willing donor was the only option I had left. A perfect donor was found that had his tip snapped off, and fairly decent celluloid. Having some experience with shelled knife repair, I knew I had to be very careful when bending the tabs. The most nerve racking part was removing the celluloid. I started with the donor knife first just in case I tore the celluloid. I used a blow dryer on the lowest setting to help make it a little more flexible; take some of the brittleness out. Then I carefully, slowly, started to push the celluloid tabs on one side off the shell. Once that was accomplished, I removed all the celluloid from both knives so I wouldn’t have a mixed batch on my knife. Then I cut the tabs off of the original celluloid that had the tear, placed it on top of my donor piece, lined up the contours, taped them together and used the old celluloid holes as a template for cutting new holes in the donor piece. I used a Dremel with a very small engraver bit, and cut the holes out. Then I used a tapered sanding bit to fine tune my cuts. All cutting was done with the dremel on the lowest setting and without any force to minimize friction that could melt the celluloid.
St. John Chapter 1
...12 But as many as received him (Jesus), to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God...