KA-BAR Collector's club knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
raincrowe

KA-BAR Collector's club knife

Post by raincrowe »

I would like to see if anyone has the sister or brother to this knife and what other information might be available .... a four inch closed 2 blades... marked on the large blade.. (front) KA-BAR.. back UCC/87....Union is stamped on the small blade...It's looks to be scrimshaw handles with the Red Baron airplane on both sides.... It's a numbered knife 289 not sure how many were made....I bought the knife in Kentucky years ago because the owner was selling his knife collection to pay for hospital bills... I have the original invoice and box and would like more information and hopefully see other numbers...Thanks in advance!
Attachments
SAM_0943.JPG
SAM_0942.JPG
SAM_0934.JPG
SAM_0940.JPG
SAM_0946.JPG
SAM_0932.JPG
SAM_0933.JPG
Gunsil

Re: KA-BAR Collector's club knife

Post by Gunsil »

Your knife was made in 1987 by Queen for the KCC and it is model UCC87DL. There were two versions of this knife, one in stag (UCC87) and one scrimshaw like yours. According to my KCC Reference Guide there were 600 of the stag ones produced and 500 of the scrimshaw ones like yours. Original price was $28 for the stag and $33 for yours. Not really a "Red Baron" plane he was a German who flew a triplane, the one on the knife is a British biplane.
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Thank you Gunsil for the information I just bought the knife back then and put it away didn't research it!!... On the day I bought the knife some one told me it was the Red Baron plane...you know how those stories are!! lol....What does the stag handles ones look like? ::tu::
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Gunsil wrote:Your knife was made in 1987 by Queen for the KCC and it is model UCC87DL. There were two versions of this knife, one in stag (UCC87) and one scrimshaw like yours. According to my KCC Reference Guide there were 600 of the stag ones produced and 500 of the scrimshaw ones like yours. Original price was $28 for the stag and $33 for yours. Not really a "Red Baron" plane he was a German who flew a triplane, the one on the knife is a British biplane.
There are two different aeroplanes pictured on the knife—both are biplanes. The illustration on the mark side scale appears to depict a dogfight scene with a British biplane in the foreground and its (presumably) German opponent in the background. The pile-side artwork illustrates the aftermath of the dogfight—the German biplane has crashed nose-first into a field. :wink:
Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

The British looks to be a Sopwith Scout. The German either a Abatros D.III or IV.
Actually the Red Baron (Manfred von Richthofen) only flew the Tri-Plane for a short time. He mostly racked up his scores in Abatros. I think it was like around 60 or more kills in them. But the Tri made him famous.
And a Canadian Ace took him down.
:mrgreen:
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Wow......Thanks that's even better than I anticipated.... a dogfight how cool is that...so glad I posted it!! ::tu::
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

The stag one looks the same except it has stag scales which are not embellished. It is generally believed these days that the "Baron" was shot down by ground fire, not by a Canadian pilot.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

From the History channel...
On April 21, 1918, with 80 victories under his belt, Richthofen penetrated deep into Allied territory in pursuit of a British aircraft. The Red Baron was flying too near the ground–an Australian gunner shot him through his chest, and his plane crashed into a field alongside the road from Corbie to Bray.
Feb 9, 2010
History Channel › red-baron-kil...
Red Baron killed in action - HISTORY

I grew up an Air Force brat, Dad did 21 years. Then I did 20 in the Air Force. I still think planes are cool and still enjoy watching them fly. And as I really like the ones from WWI and WWII, that's a really neat knife!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Here is a picture of the stag handled version. Didn’t know about the scrimshaw version but I sure do like it. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Attachments
image.jpg
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

First of all I would like to thank everyone for the information and the pic of the stag knife!... I didn't know about the stag handle knife...I and didn't know about the total number made for each....and the price... its makes sense now the fellow has bought the set...the invoice does state bomb set and the price is $61 plus shipping...Looking at what Gunsil wrote price wise... $28 and $33= $61...Although not a word was mentioned about the other knife I feel fortunate to have purchased the scrimshaw!.... ::tu::
Attachments
SAM_0964.JPG
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

All the KCC knifes show up on ebay fairly regularly, I think if you watch you could find yourself a stag one if so desired. Finding one with a matching number would be hard though.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Hey Steve. Found out last year that combat experts now agree that it wasn't the ground man that dood it. The speed and angle of Richthofen, the position of the gunner makes for a almsot impossible kill. I am not saying it's impossible, just that it's close to it. Also reading the accounts from everyone that saw the fight, it is way more likely that the Canadian got him. He was in a much better position to kill.
What do you think?
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Honestly Willy, I haven't the foggiest. I just did a quick Google search and numerous articles came up. Saw the one from the History Channel and figured they ought to know. ::shrug::

Besides, WWI history is something I've never seriously studied.
Gimme the 1800s - Manifest Destiny, Lewis and Clark, the wild frontier, Custer's last stand, Remember the Alamo, Billy the Kid, the Texas Rangers, cattle drives, the old west...
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

::tu::
Winston Churchill

raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Here is another knife

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66583
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

I had a KCC knife back in the 90's that was a single blade lock knife with Maple scales fit & finnish was awesome but it had weird shield on it & gold etched blade I traded it off but have wished I kept it...
Never Doubt Your Dawg
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Sounds like one awesome knife!!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”