Old Hawkbill Pruner: Age & Country ?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kootenay joe

Old Hawkbill Pruner: Age & Country ?

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a well worn but still 'neat' old knife. 4 1/4" straight across or 4 1/2" along the curve, looks like iron ? liners and butt plate and the bolsters appear integral with the liners. Has been re-pinned with a nail, and well done, half stop, good snaps and no play unless you force hard laterally.
And, it has a flush & square joint, which i think is 'very neat'.
Blade is forged and with convex surface right to the edge. It is sharp but has no edge grind, or it has worn off but the sides are still close enough to be sharp ? Must have had a lot of blade loss, so cannot figure why it is still sharp ?
No markings. What do you think for age and origin ? British or USA ? I don't think it is German.
kj
Attachments
IMGP6855.JPG
IMGP6856.JPG
IMGP6860.JPG
IMGP6861.JPG
IMGP6857.JPG
IMGP6858.JPG
IMGP6859.JPG
knife7knut

Re: Old Hawkbill Pruner: Age & Country ?

Post by knife7knut »

Looks English to me Roland.Typical with integral bolsters/liners and squared at the front.Probably pre-1900 although that type of construction was used on pruning knives for many years.I have a couple similar ones and they are always fascinating.Bet that one would have some stories to tell!
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Ray. To me this construction looks older, maybe 1850 or earlier but i don't have any other very old knives to compare with. LG4 states somewhere the app. time when integral liners/bolster construction stopped being used. I will try to find it.
kj
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

I would agree old Sheffield Roland ::tu:: and with integral liners and bolsters most likely pre-1860 (though I believe a few old cutlers, not many, carried that post-1860 as well).. lots of character and beauty in that Hawkbill to those of us who love HOKs :D ... almost impossible without tang stamp to identify maker on those unless there was a specific attribute of knife associated with an old maker...

Post by knife7knut »

Could very well be mid 1800's although the change from integral bolsters occurred in the 1860's the practice was continued on pruning knives well after 1900 for some reason.Probably thought it would be stronger that way. Here are pics of some pruners that date to the 1860's or slightly before.
Attachments
G.H.ExpiditionPruner.JPG
GeorgeWoodheadPruner.JPG
SamuelRobinsonSheffieldPruner.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ray do those have a flush & square joint and a half stop ? The bottom one looks similar to my knife.
kj
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

knife7knut wrote:Could very well be mid 1800's although the change from integral bolsters occurred in the 1860's the practice was continued on pruning knives well after 1900 for some reason.Probably thought it would be stronger that way. Here are pics of some pruners that date to the 1860's or slightly before.
Ray - as I noted in agreement with your point a few cutlers carried integrated liners bolsters post -1860 and in particular on Hawkbills but was not aware some even used this in the 1900s - any examples to show or which makers did this in the 1900s??

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote:Ray do those have a flush & square joint and a half stop ? The bottom one looks similar to my knife.
kj
Roland:All three have those features although the Samuel Robinson is a bit worn on the half stop.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

All these old ones (your 3 + my 1) have flush & square joints which at least by early 1900's was becoming less common. I think this feature along with the integral liner/bolster construction will help to get a date range. Are liners/bolsters iron or steel ?
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”