Two finds at flea market

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
raincrowe

Two finds at flea market

Post by raincrowe »

Awww....I found two things at a flea market I thought would be worth showing...a bread knife...13 inches total blade is 8 inches...handle is yellow in color don't know what the material is.....blade is marked Bread Knife J.H. Potter Sheffield with a nice design almost full length of blade....also I found a small advertising knife marked on blade.... Voos made in the USA...Handle marked...The Continental Fibre Co.... Vuclanized Fibre & Bakelite-Dilecto….Newark Delaware....I think both nice finds...Bread Knife paid $ 5.00.....Advertising knife $15.00....I don't know much about them any information would be helpfully...I would like to the value and age!! Just couldn't leave them ::tu:: for that price.... tell me what you think...lol
Attachments
SAM_0859.JPG
SAM_0857.JPG
SAM_0856.JPG
SAM_0850.JPG
raincrowe

Re: Two finds at flea market

Post by raincrowe »

Sorry didn't get any pics of the name on bread knife....they were little difficult to photograph the light not quite right...
Attachments
SAM_0855.JPG
SAM_0854.JPG
SAM_0852.JPG
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I would say you did just fine on both of them. I have a couple of vintage bread knives and use them frequently as I buy all my bread unsliced.
I also have an identical knife to the Voos but it is not stamped. The advertising on mine is for the Marietta Torpedo Co. I was curious about the name and researched it and found the company made devices for opening up oil wells and snuffing out oil well fires by the use of dropping large amounts of nitroglycerine into the wells.
wonderful what you can learn about advertising on knives!
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very knice finds raincrowe, Useful and novel. ::tu::
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

raincrowe; You've sure shown some cool old stuff for only 38 posts. On the advertizer does the blade reach the loop on the end? It kinda looks like a cigar cutter but the blade looks a little short. Tryin' to figure out what it is. Thanks
Bruce
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Thanks for the interest!!…. it's not a cigar cutter...the blade isn't that long....the back-spring goes all the way around the loop thus it couldn't reach it!!
Attachments
SAM_0865.JPG
SAM_0864.JPG
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Would like to thank everyone for the input I've learning a quite a bit!! ::tu::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is a picture of the one I own;likely made by the same company although mine isn't tang stamped.
Attachments
MariettaTorpedoCo1.JPG
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Yeah I agree identical I would say the same company! good job ::tu::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Berryb wrote:raincrowe; You've sure shown some cool old stuff for only 38 posts. On the advertizer does the blade reach the loop on the end? It kinda looks like a cigar cutter but the blade looks a little short. Tryin' to figure out what it is. Thanks
Bruce
Looks to me like a bottle opener (cap lifter).

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Ken; I kinda thought so too, at first, but I think the loop is too small and too thick. There is nothing to hook under the cap. The only thing I can come up with-and this is a stretch- is some kind of a wrench. It could be for setting over a nut to keep it from spinning while the bolt was being tightened. That would make more sense if each of the three parts of the loop were different sizes. Ya see I told you it was a stretch, I'm already talking myself out of it. I have a sizable collection of bottle openers and none look like that. I expect there is a clue in the advertizers on each example. what do they have in common? Thanks
Bruce
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

What is the length of the 2 advertising knives, are they the same? The part in question reminds me of the "bow" of an old key from back in the day. ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

treefarmer wrote:What is the length of the 2 advertising knives, are they the same? The part in question reminds me of the "bow" of an old key from back in the day. ::shrug::
Treefarmer
Exactly what I thought. Keyring attachment point, like on an old skeleton key.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Raincrowe, Nice old knives, here is a tip on taking pictures of knife blades, don't use a flash and try taking the pics outside but not in direct sunlight. You will get a shadow with too much light. Practice tipping the blade while looking through your view finder to get the desired photo. I have fought this a long time and round things are even worse to photograph. ::tu:: Terry Notice the first photo was taken inside with flash and the flash reflects on the steel. the 2nd photo was taken outside and does not have the reflection.
Attachments
DSC_2392.JPG
DSC_2394.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Thanks Terry for the great information... I've been experimenting trying to find different methods...lighting, positions and ways....hopefully to enhance the photos but it can a struggle and still working at it!! ::tu::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

treefarmer wrote:What is the length of the 2 advertising knives, are they the same? The part in question reminds me of the "bow" of an old key from back in the day. ::shrug::
Treefarmer
Here is a picture on a 1 inch background. Sorry;I usually align them with an edge mark better.It is right at 3 inches.The opening is too small for a bottle opener;just an enlarged ring hole.
Attachments
Adv.2019 066.jpg
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

The voos knife is 3 inches closed!!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think the bread knife handle is ivory celluloid. Surface is rather worn so hard to be certain from pictures.
kj
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Here is some other pics of the handle hopefully it may help
Attachments
SAM_0896.JPG
SAM_0895.JPG
SAM_0894.JPG

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”