Very old horn handle G Bateman knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
raincrowe

Very old horn handle G Bateman knife

Post by raincrowe »

An old 3 1/2 inch one bladed knife stamped on the blade what appears to be... G Bateman 2937...I believe this knife has horn handles with pinched bolsters that is one piece with the liners....the backspring has no purpose other than stop the blade...the blade has to opened and closed manually....this knife is very old and has been used a lot....the blade has been reshaped and very loose...it doesn't want to stay in position when open...Levin's Guide to Knives and their values Third Edition Page 38...Lists a George Bateman Sheffield...high value date 1785...I don't see anything about the letters 2937....So I don't if this is the knife that he lists... would like more information on this one thanks...
Attachments
SAM_0788.JPG
SAM_0787.JPG
SAM_0786.JPG
SAM_0793.JPG
SAM_0791.JPG
SAM_0784.JPG
SAM_0785.JPG
SAM_0783.JPG
kootenay joe

Re: Very old horn handle G Bateman knife

Post by kootenay joe »

I think you are correct, horn handles and quite old, Sheffield. Someone who collects very old British knives might be able to say what the numbers mean and give an approximate date.
The spring did work to give snap but because of wear at ends of tang & spring the blade is now loose.
kj
raincrowe

Re: Very old horn handle G Bateman knife

Post by raincrowe »

Thanks I wasn't sure I know its appears old would it be listed as a barlow knife?

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”