Help me identify this great old knife.

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Help me identify this great old knife.

Post by dlr110 »

Hello everyone, I’ve been doing some research on this knife and I need your help.
It has 2 Blades & a corkscrew. Carbon steel blades. Bolsters look and feel like they are steel. Wood handles that I think are oak. I’ve come across some close examples that suggest it to be from the 1840's to the early 1900’s and from France to Russia. I don’t know if I’m close or way off of identifying and putting a date on this one. All comments, suggestions and documents will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_20190213_155703.jpg
IMG_20190213_155821.jpg
IMG_20190213_155941.jpg
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
kootenay joe

Re: Help me identify this great old knife.

Post by kootenay joe »

I have been knife collecting for decades but have not seen a knife similar to this one you show. I look forward to learning something about it.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Is there any tang stamp or evidence thereof? It looks a lot like one I have that was made in Russia prior to the Bolshevik Revolution(1917).
Attachments
RussianMultiBlade#2 001.jpg
RussianMultiBlade#2 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

There are no tang stamps or marks anywhere on it. If there ever was they have been long sence rubbed off. Your knife looks in much better shape than the one I found. I had also looked at some info that suggested it was Russian and had been issued to the Russian army in the late 1800's. Thank you very much for your responce and your pictures.

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Great old knife indeed.
Your knife looks well used.
The blades seem to align with the Russian lineage. I don't know why I think this because I know very little about knives,
especially Russian knives.

Here is one remotely similar to yours. Seem to be a popular European picnic pattern.
Attachments
DSCN6262.JPG
DSCN6265.JPG
DSCN6266.JPG
DSCN6272.JPG
Joe
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

dlr110 wrote:I had also looked at some info that suggested it was Russian and had been issued to the Russian army in the late 1800's.
My guess is also for a French or a Russian manufacturer. But the assumption of army use is not true.
In the end of the 19th, early 20th century, the Russian Empire was in complete decline. The social order is still coming out of feudalism. Such a pocket knife have been a luxury item, inaccessible to 99.99% of the population.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

FRJ wrote:Great old knife indeed.
Your knife looks well used.
The blades seem to align with the Russian lineage. I don't know why I think this because I know very little about knives,
especially Russian knives.

Here is one remotely similar to yours. Seem to be a popular European picnic pattern.
That is a very good looking knife! Thank you for the responce and the info.

dunzino

Post by dunzino »

Hey y’all, I have a question in a similar vein regarding vintage knife identification. With mine I’ve been able to determine it was made by L.F.&Co, makers of many kitchenwares and cutlery among other things between 1865-1965 when they folded into G.E.

At this point I would just like to know the year of the knife if possible. Based on my own research I think it’s around a hundred years old but I’m not sure.

Anyone know? Thanks!
Attachments
9FCF4E62-6DA0-4A7F-BD05-FAD3A67F08D5.jpeg
468846BF-45C6-48F9-B753-8E640E645A0A.jpeg

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”