Small Fish Knife ?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kootenay joe

Small Fish Knife ?

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a 7 3/4" knife with a profile similar to the Finnish Marttiini often seen fish knife, but this one with a 4" blade is much smaller.
Lightly engraved on the blade flat is "Marttiini Finland" in a loupy hand written script, typical of Finnish knives. Blade is flexible but not flimsy.
Handle & possibly sheath look like mahogany ?
The sheath is made by splitting the wood lengthwise and carving out space for the blade. It is snug. Does not fall off when held upside down.
I have not seen a Marttiini Fish knife this small. There is a small one but it is larger than this knife. I have not seen this type of wood or sheath on any other Marttiini knife.
I remember a time in early 1960's when wood handled, wood sheath Letter Openers were everywhere.
Figure this is A) a Fish knife ?
Or, B) a Letter Opener ?
kj
Attachments
IMGP5952.JPG
IMGP5953.JPG
IMGP5954.JPG
tongueriver

Re: Small Fish Knife ?

Post by tongueriver »

Could this be a blade blank re-worked by someone? There are Martini blade blanks out there that have been done up by individuals. The blade might even have been offered for kitchen use or steak knives, or....??? The juncture of the blade to the handle angle looks odd.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Roland:It might be a Scandinavian version of a paring knife or possibly a bird & trout knife. Whatever the case it is a neat and unusual knife. ::tu::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I agree that it is is a neat and unusual knife. My first thought when I look at it is that the handle and blade were not made for each other. Maybe someone had a nice tool handle and a nice small blade and put them together.
Mel
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Maybe someone had a nice tool handle and a nice small blade and put them together."
It is possible. By posting here i hope if anyone has seen a similar knife that they will 'speak up'. If they are more than one then likely it is factory.
kj
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Throw it in a bucket of water and see if it floats.
AAPK Janitor
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"see if it floats"
It is a Sinker.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kootenay joe wrote:"see if it floats"
It is a Sinker.
kj

Is it sharp? Most letter openers that I have seen and handled are pretty dull.
Personally I could see using that on pan fish. The usual length of fillet knives are much too long to handle pan fish, this would make an excellent one for that, if it’s sharp.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Yes it is sharp but would need sharpening further to nicely slice fish. The profile and flexibility do resemble a Fish knife more than a letter opener.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”