Bowen R 1306B

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Sundog Knives

Bowen R 1306B

Post by Sundog Knives »

BOWEN R 1306B lockback stag handle Atlanta U.S.A. etching.

Oldetowncutlery.com has a very similar knife shown and described dated back in 1980s.
https://www.oldetownecutlery.com/2017/1 ... cas-r1306/

Cuttingedge.com also had a very similar knife but etched Blackshear GA for sale sold which dated circa 1970s.
http://www.cuttingedge.com/knife/klc109 ... ack_hunter

What is the date of this particular knife below? and

Are Bowen knives etched Atlanta U.S.A. earlier or later than Bowen knives etched Blackshear GA?
DSC00819.JPG
DSC00820.JPG
knife7knut

Re: Bowen R 1306B

Post by knife7knut »

I have never seen one with stag handles before. Mine has a bullet shield and has jigged bone handles as the original Remington Bullet knives had.
Attachments
BowenBullet1.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

knife7knut wrote:I have never seen one with stag handles before. Mine has a bullet shield and has jigged bone handles as the original Remington Bullet knives had.
Is yours marked Blackshear, GA or Atlanta, GA?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Bowen Knife Was made by Collins Brother which one of the brothers was Blackie Collins . That about all I Know around the early 70's
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:
knife7knut wrote:I have never seen one with stag handles before. Mine has a bullet shield and has jigged bone handles as the original Remington Bullet knives had.
Is yours marked Blackshear, GA or Atlanta, GA?
It's marked Atlanta USA under the Bowen etch on the blade.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I have one of the Bowen Belt Buckle knives that I got from a Bowen dealer in 1982. Mine is marked Blackshear, GA. Difficult to say when markings changed from Blackshear to Atlanta. The company was started in 1973, and was bought out and moved to Arkansas in 2003
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:I have one of the Bowen Belt Buckle knives that I got from a Bowen dealer in 1982. Mine is marked Blackshear, GA. Difficult to say when markings changed from Blackshear to Atlanta. The company was started in 1973, and was bought out and moved to Arkansas in 2003
Got a single edge and a couple of unidentified double edged.
Attachments
TypoCabinetDrawer20 004.JPG
TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

My best friend from the Army lived in Atlanta. We got out in 1971 and in about 1973 one of his friends' dad worked for Bowen in Atlanta at that time. He managed to acquire us both a double edge knife and belt from them. We were told it was kinda hush, hush because they weren't available to public at that time. Not sure how accurate the clandestine part is, but the dates are right. FYI. Taz
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I was in the Marine Corps from 1970 in the end of 1973. The first one I saw was probably 1971 or 1972 and it was kind of hush-hush at that time as I recall.
But, that was 46-47 years ago; now I have trouble remembering if I ate breakfast today. ::shrug:: :lol:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I had a Bowen belt knife. It mysteriously disappeared. Anyway, I put on enough weight over the years that the belt wouldn’t fit now. If I still had the buckle, I could have the belt made. Been trying to find a replacement for years with no luck. I have came across a copy of this, double edged like my original, done in Damascus steel. It looks good online, but I hadn’t seen it in person. May be worth a hundred buck gamble, and I may buy it. Still, it cannot replace my original. I hadn’t been able to find a Bowen in over 20 years so I’d guess they are fairly rare.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

A little added info, the original belt knives were full 1/4" stock. Later they became thinner. Sorry, don't know when they made the transition.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I miss mine. I’d settle for a thinner one if I could. I may buy the Damascus copy just to have one again.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”