Ivory Sheath and Handled Jean Mette Puukko

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
combolox

Ivory Sheath and Handled Jean Mette Puukko

Post by combolox »

Hello all you wise AAPK members. I am hoping you can give me some help with this knife that is not very easy to research. It is a Puukko shape with a beautiful ivory sheath and ivory handle. It looks like it may be Walrus, but I don't know that for sure. The blade is marked Jean Mette. From research on this sight I was able to find out that Jean Mette was a medical instrument maker from Norway that also sold barrel knives made by somebody else, and that is about it. The knife measures about 5-3/4" long in the sheath. I am curious about history and value. Thank You for your help.
IMG_0333.JPG
IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_0336.JPG
IMG_0332.JPG
tongueriver

Re: Ivory Sheath and Handled Jean Mette Puukko

Post by tongueriver »

I am sorry to say I have no knowledge of this pair, but I am drooling. ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Nothing to add but that Knife Is Awesome!!!!! That is an amazing pick up. Wow!! ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Looks like fossil walrus ivory to me also. Don't know much about it but there is a strong following and good value in old well made puukko knives. I would think this knife should weigh in pretty heavy on the scale. Might well find itself at the top of this pile of recently sold eBay puukko knives sorted by highest value first.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... =1&_sop=16

Hopefully someone with specific knowledge will comment.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That is an amazing knife and sheath. Wow!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Can we see the butt of the knife? Walrus ivory should have the "tapioca", or more pithy center showing on a thick piece such as a handle. No need for it to be "fossil" walrus, plenty of fresh walrus has been available for years until recently, probably still available in countries other than the US with it's inane ivory laws. It is indeed a superb example!!
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Can't help you out on the maker but can give you some help on the material. It looks like elephant ivory to me but as Gunsil has said if we could see the end grain of the handle, we could probably determine if it is walrus, I will send a photo of walrus ivory end grain to give you something to look at the interior of the walrus will have what some call 'cracked ice" and the outer layer will be pure white with very little grain. Elephant ivory is usually solid white all the way through with just some cross hatching visible on the end grain. It can have wood like grain on the side and can be a little yellow also, depending on age. Once you've seen walrus ivory it is pretty easy to tell. ::tu:: Terry
Attachments
DSC_2051.JPG
DSC_2052.JPG
DSC_2049.JPG
DSC_2050.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Here is a walrus ivory handled knife which shows the "tapioca" or "cracked ice" well. It is from the 1700s and has a wootz blade. Does the OP knife exhibit this in the butt? If not, and it has a cross hatch pattern in the butt it is elephant ivory. Dang, I love ivory knives, wish I had one like the OP!!
DSCN3698.JPG
DSCN3699.JPG
DSCN3702.JPG
DSCN3700.JPG
DSCN3704.JPG
combolox

Post by combolox »

This one must be Elephant Ivory. Here are a couple more photos and a close up of sheath ivory.
IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG
IMG_0395.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I collect old puukkos as well as knives with elephant ivory but i am far from expert on either. Most puukkos are simply the best work knives ever but i do regularly come across exceptional examples with exquisite details. This one is the most 'exceptional' i have seen.
You ask about value: i am sure there are collectors who would give you $800-$1000 for it, but it's actual value could be more.
kj
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

It appears to me that there is a small vein of tapioca in the center of the butt. I see no cross hatch pattern there that would indicate elephant ivory. I think it is walrus tusk.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

After looking at the 2nd photo of the butt, it appears more like walrus ivory. What ever it is, it is a nice piece! ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
combolox

Post by combolox »

Thank you all for the information. I am probably going to sell the knife, as I can't keep everything.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

By what means will you sell it ?
Ebay does not allow ivory.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The fellow who posted this knife is i believe an estate dealer. He contacted me and after brief negotiations i bought this knife for a lot more money than i usually spend. When it arrived i was shocked to see it is a miniature. I had thought it to be a 'full size' puukko which usually means about 7" OAL. I came back here to check the thread and sure enough in the opening post he says 5 3/4" including the sheath. How had i missed this ? I really don't know. I contacted another AAPK'er who had posted in this thread and he too thought this to be a full size knife, not a miniature. Perhaps it's beauty got us so enthused we forgot to read carefully ?
Miniature puukkos are a sub class of puukkos and are real user knives said to be used in a sewing basket to open seams cut thread etc. They are very collectible but prices are less than the full size puukkos. In knives with ivory, size matters, the bigger the pieces of ivory, the higher the price. Because of this the price i paid is about double it's actual value.
I contacted the seller and to my surprise he said if i was not happy with it please send it back and he will refund me. I think this shows much integrity as well as some generosity as it was going to be over a week before i could get back to a U.S. post office.
I paid with PP in the 'friend' category as per his suggestion. As such PP will not intervene and help getting my money back.
After shipping back the knife i realized now he has my money and the knife. Am i the biggest 'sucker' ever ?
But there was no need to worry. On the day he received this knife back he refunded my money.
I am fortunate that this gentleman is honest, caring and has integrity. Thank you Lane.
Just thought you might like to learn the 'rest of the story'.
kj
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

KJ, I also have been guilty of being too enthused to take time to read all the details. Look, read, think and then buy should be the rule but I've been known to break a few rules along the way.

Glad this worked out for you.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
npeters3

Post by npeters3 »

Good to hear that there are still good honest people out there in this world!!
thanks for sharing
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -John Wooden
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Yes and this is why i posted the good outcome. We hear about bad experiences with sellers but we don't often post the positive outcomes with honest sellers who want their customers to be happy with the deal. I was fortunate that this seller cares about his customers more than about money.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”