Who Makes This Knife ??

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Jporter1974

Who Makes This Knife ??

Post by Jporter1974 »

I've gone and done it again,I've spent money on a knife and I don't even know who made it. I seen the swell center and the long pull, then I asked the guy who made it and he didn't know, but could partially read the tang stamping. Needless to say, I bought the knife and its in the mail. I spent several hours hours last night trying to compare the pull on the blade to other similar knives and I am just nowhere near able to get anywhere on the tang stamp. I'm just not knowledgeable enough on the older knives.
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-11-08-13-33-26.png
Screenshot_2018-11-08-13-49-30.png
Screenshot_2018-11-08-13-41-16.png
Doc B

Re: Who Makes This Knife ??

Post by Doc B »

I know nothing about the knife...except I too, think it looks cool! Looks like a Southington Knife Co knife from Connecticut. I found another picture, where the word South, is on the tang, above the Ington. Seems the company was in business from 1867-1905.
More knowledgeable people will certainly come along.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The pattern is a Swell Center Folding Hunter and your knife is less worn than many of them. Southington Cut Co is my best guess too.
kj
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Good looking knife. To echo Doc B and KJ, Southington.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Confirmed by Wayne means Southington is what it is. Southington is a somewhat uncommonly seen marking and quite collectible. And the Swell Center Folding Hunter is a very collectible pattern. I think it is worth at least $100, possibly more.
kj
Jporter1974

Post by Jporter1974 »

Thanks for the help on this one.. I definitely needed it. I have been trying to look for old patterns and uncommon cutlery companies, as we all probably do. There is so much to be learned on these old companies and the cutlers who worked there, as well as the future companies they were connected to. This is a big and solid old knife with no wobble what so ever and a big snap. ~Jon
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Jon one of the best things about knife collecting is that the body of knowledge encompassed is so huge no one ever learns but a fraction of it. So it never gets boring because a never before seen knife or brand always comes along. Knife forums like AAPK allow each of us to share our little bit of info. and learn from the other members.
So don't feel badly about only knowing a little because this is all any of us knows.
kj
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Really nice knife and good score Jon ::tu:: ... Southington is definitely one of the good old CT companies!! Always a bonus to find an old Hunter in good condition too... and KJ is right - there is always something new to learn about some aspect of knives - in my opinion no matter how long you’ve been doing it... and that is what keeps it interesting (which applies to the many hobbies, art, etc - for me I’ve been heavily involved in fly fishing for almost 40 years and even teach it at different venues yet I still am always learning something new :wink: )...

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”