Bone Handles Discolored ?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Bone Handles Discolored ?

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

WelderBob wrote:SSk, you may be on to something, the lining is green and I use mineral oil on bone. I let it dry but if the bone holds the oil it could have a reaction
with something in the fabric and would show up on light color bone. I think from now on I'll just use Ren wax on light colored handles.
Maybe I should oil the mark side and see if I can get a match... :lol:
That’s what it looked like to me. Just had a hunch that there was some green dye touching that bone. Case seems especially susceptible to problems w/ light colored bone absorbing what’s around it. I will have to remember this when storing knives in a case after oiling it. I try to keep all my knives in display cases so I can see and enjoy them. Some of those cases have red felt, or green or black. I will be checking tomorrow all the light Case bone knives and double check that this same problem hasn’t happened to me too.
It doesn’t look like it was a problem w/ the brass liners, it looks more like dye.
This has been an interesting discussion. I like the silverware bags, I think that would work well.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
LongBlade

Re: Bone Handles Discolored ?

Post by LongBlade »

It all makes sense now - oil plus green fabric .... there was another thread that was about storing knives - I will say one needs to be careful with felt SSK - I know for a fact that some felt is acid-fast dye that won't bleed but some no doubt will bleed the dye color... one of the reasons I decided against felt as many did not know if the dye was acid-fast and accordingly I went with anti-tarnish cloth or sack-ups...

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”