Case Cheetah Cub

Ask knife related questions here. Please answer some if you are an experienced collector!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Cheetah Cub

Postby Mumbleypeg » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:05 pm

kootenay joe wrote:I am not a Case collector but "611 1/2 L" does not look like a regular Case pattern number. Could this be a contract knife from when Jim Parker owned Case ?
Surely one of the Case collector guys knows about this knife ?
kj

I agree you'd think someone who collects the newer Case knives should know about them. That's why I am surprised there is so little about the Cub on the Case Collectors Club Forum, as most of those who post there collect newer knives. From what I can deduce these were made since 2000 - long after Parker's time.

The Cheetah pattern was a 111-1/2 (6111-1/2 for bone, 5111-1/2 for stag). So I guess they just shortened it to 11-1/2 for the Cub. The first "1" being the number of blades, would mean the handle die (pattern) number was "1" also (as in the second "1"). The 1/2 denotes a clip master blade in Case language.

Which would mean the Cub pattern number is "1". If that's the case then its the first pattern "1" I know of. Historically the Case "01" pattern has been a small pen knife.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"Man has nothing that the animals have not at least a vestige of, the animals have nothing that the man does not in some degree share."
- Ernest Thompson Seton
https://www.akti.org/

hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby hardman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:53 am

The following information was taken from Steve Pfeiffer's book Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide.

"...The Cheetah Cub was introduced in 2005 as an exclusive Life Member Knife to Case Collectors Club members only. It was then introduced in the second edition of the 2005 catalog in Pocket Worn Peach Seed Jigged Caribbean Blue Bone, Smooth Genuine MOP, 6.5 Bone Stag, Smooth Red G-10, and Corn Cob Jigged Bright Green Bone..."

Since then the Cheetah Cub has been offered in many other natural and synthetic handle materials. I have one in Genuine Stag and Cabernet Bone, and I have seen Abalone and Red Stag as well.

The pattern number is "1 1/2L." So, a Cheetah Cub with bone handle scales would be a 611 1/2L.

It has not been 'officially' discontinued or cancelled, but it is not currently being manufactured either.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:39 am

Gary, Thank you for posting this information; exactly what we wanted to know.
kj

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Mumbleypeg » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:48 am

Thanks Gary! I should have known to look in Steve's book. ::facepalm:: Since I couldn't find much about the Cheetah Cub on the CCC forum I asked some questions about it there, in the "Ask Case" subforum. You can answer my dumb questions there also if you want! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"Man has nothing that the animals have not at least a vestige of, the animals have nothing that the man does not in some degree share."
- Ernest Thompson Seton
https://www.akti.org/

Sut Tatersaul

Postby Sut Tatersaul » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:06 pm

I'm back after a "Cool Down" period. I lost three or four hours of work, composing, and loosing, a few posts that included pictures. I just now spent more than three hours, composing, and loosing a couple more posts. Oh, Well, I'm a glutton for punishment. Here goes another one. While researching the Case Cheetah Cub knives, I believe that I've discovered the Case' Company's most well kept secret. It's their Cheetah Cub Knives! There also seems to be fewer Case collectors interested in the "Cub" knives, than any type knife, that Case ever offered for sale. This, in my estimation, makes the "Cub" knives "Rare Birds" indeed! I have , by a slight mistake, acquired another Cheetah Cub knife. A well known Case dealer, slightly "Pulled the Wool Over my Eyes" , and thereby, I believe, "Skinned Me", a bit. Oh, well, "Live & Learn", as the old saying goes. This "Cub" is a nice knife, and as "rare as Hens teeth" according to the dealer who sold it to me. All of this "Rigmarole" has made me believe that I must become an absolute, spectator, only. I need to do it as soon as I can make myself. Here's a picture of the knife that gave me a "Comeuppence".

Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC00218.JPG
DSC00221.JPG
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter

doglegg
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby doglegg » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:55 pm

Sut, I appreciate your post and even more knowing the time spent in posting them. Great little knife. I was unaware of the cub until your post. Probably will never find one but I will be on the look out. Thanks. ::nod:: ::nod::

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”