Case Cheetah Cub

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Cheetah Cub

Post by Mumbleypeg »

kootenay joe wrote:I am not a Case collector but "611 1/2 L" does not look like a regular Case pattern number. Could this be a contract knife from when Jim Parker owned Case ?
Surely one of the Case collector guys knows about this knife ?
kj
I agree you'd think someone who collects the newer Case knives should know about them. That's why I am surprised there is so little about the Cub on the Case Collectors Club Forum, as most of those who post there collect newer knives. From what I can deduce these were made since 2000 - long after Parker's time.

The Cheetah pattern was a 111-1/2 (6111-1/2 for bone, 5111-1/2 for stag). So I guess they just shortened it to 11-1/2 for the Cub. The first "1" being the number of blades, would mean the handle die (pattern) number was "1" also (as in the second "1"). The 1/2 denotes a clip master blade in Case language.

Which would mean the Cub pattern number is "1". If that's the case then its the first pattern "1" I know of. Historically the Case "01" pattern has been a small pen knife.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

The following information was taken from Steve Pfeiffer's book Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide.

"...The Cheetah Cub was introduced in 2005 as an exclusive Life Member Knife to Case Collectors Club members only. It was then introduced in the second edition of the 2005 catalog in Pocket Worn Peach Seed Jigged Caribbean Blue Bone, Smooth Genuine MOP, 6.5 Bone Stag, Smooth Red G-10, and Corn Cob Jigged Bright Green Bone..."

Since then the Cheetah Cub has been offered in many other natural and synthetic handle materials. I have one in Genuine Stag and Cabernet Bone, and I have seen Abalone and Red Stag as well.

The pattern number is "1 1/2L." So, a Cheetah Cub with bone handle scales would be a 611 1/2L.

It has not been 'officially' discontinued or cancelled, but it is not currently being manufactured either.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Gary, Thank you for posting this information; exactly what we wanted to know.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks Gary! I should have known to look in Steve's book. ::facepalm:: Since I couldn't find much about the Cheetah Cub on the CCC forum I asked some questions about it there, in the "Ask Case" subforum. You can answer my dumb questions there also if you want! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I'm back after a "Cool Down" period. I lost three or four hours of work, composing, and loosing, a few posts that included pictures. I just now spent more than three hours, composing, and loosing a couple more posts. Oh, Well, I'm a glutton for punishment. Here goes another one. While researching the Case Cheetah Cub knives, I believe that I've discovered the Case' Company's most well kept secret. It's their Cheetah Cub Knives! There also seems to be fewer Case collectors interested in the "Cub" knives, than any type knife, that Case ever offered for sale. This, in my estimation, makes the "Cub" knives "Rare Birds" indeed! I have , by a slight mistake, acquired another Cheetah Cub knife. A well known Case dealer, slightly "Pulled the Wool Over my Eyes" , and thereby, I believe, "Skinned Me", a bit. Oh, well, "Live & Learn", as the old saying goes. This "Cub" is a nice knife, and as "rare as Hens teeth" according to the dealer who sold it to me. All of this "Rigmarole" has made me believe that I must become an absolute, spectator, only. I need to do it as soon as I can make myself. Here's a picture of the knife that gave me a "Comeuppence".

Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC00218.JPG
DSC00221.JPG
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Sut, I appreciate your post and even more knowing the time spent in posting them. Great little knife. I was unaware of the cub until your post. Probably will never find one but I will be on the look out. Thanks. ::nod:: ::nod::
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All;
I've let the dust settle on the Cheetah Cub situation again for a while, and in the meantime I've acquired a couple more Cheetah Cub knives, for a total of five Cheetah Cub, knives. Iv'e been able to pair up two of them with regular Cheetah knives, of mine, a yellow, and a white stag. Here is a picture of my five Cubs, along with my std. Cheetah in rootbeer bone scales. I would like to find a Cheetah Cub knife knife to pair up with my rootbeer bone handled Cheetah shown, but can't find out whether case ever made one. I've tried several times, as members have suggested to get in touch with The Case co. That doesn't work for me at all. I've also bought, and studied some Case Knife Collectors books, and didn't find found the information that I need there ether. Maybe one of our members can come up with it later. Thanks.
Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC00262.JPG
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Great lookin' family there, Sut. ::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Great lookin' collection their Sut! I also am a big fan of cheetah knives. Just pick up my first three, and they are Winchesters to top it off. I think i may start a thread about them... ::hmm::
Willy
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

WillyCamaro wrote:Great lookin' collection their Sut! I also am a big fan of cheetah knives. Just pick up my first three, and they are Winchesters to top it off. I think i may start a thread about them... ::hmm::
Willy
Willy;
I just read your post again, and would like to see pictures, of those three Winchester / Cheetah knives that you mention in your post. Please.

Sut Tatersaul
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Sure. I still need to twist Scale Military knife arm to take pics for me. Here are sellers pics (they don't due these knives justice). I bought 2 of the coke bottles. They are one of the biggest knives i'v ever seen. I think even bigger then a full size folding hunter... ::hmm:: The build quality is same or better than case knives. Not the premium (Tony Bose) but probably standard case.
Enjoy!
Attachments
Winchester USA W 18 10121 CRC Charcoal Ruby Copper Cheetah 001.jpg
Winchester USA W 18 10121 CRC Charcoal Ruby Copper Cheetah 002.jpg
Winchester USA W 18 10121 CRC Charcoal Ruby Copper Cheetah 006.jpg
Winchester USA W 15 19109 1_2 1994 BO Burnt Orange Bone Coke Bottle Swing Guard 001.jpg
Winchester USA W 15 19109 1_2 1994 BO Burnt Orange Bone Coke Bottle Swing Guard 005.jpg
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Here's some more,
By the way i love your catchphrase!
Attachments
Winchester USA W 18 10121 CRC Charcoal Ruby Copper Cheetah 004.jpg
Winchester USA W 18 10121 CRC Charcoal Ruby Copper Cheetah 005.jpg
Winchester USA W 18 10121 CRC Charcoal Ruby Copper Cheetah 007.jpg
Winchester USA W 18 10121 CRC Charcoal Ruby Copper Cheetah 008.jpg
Winchester USA W 18 10121 CRC Charcoal Ruby Copper Cheetah 009.jpg
Winchester USA W 18 10121 CRC Charcoal Ruby Copper Cheetah 010.jpg
Winchester USA W 15 19109 1_2 1994 BO Burnt Orange Bone Coke Bottle Swing Guard 003.jpg
Winchester USA W 15 19109 1_2 1994 BO Burnt Orange Bone Coke Bottle Swing Guard 004.jpg
Winston Churchill

Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All:

I've let the dust settle a bit more on the question that I posted, back in Oct. of 2018. I've since, checked everywhere that anyone suggested, that I have access, and still haven't been able to find out whether Case, ever made a Cheetah Cub knife, with 'Rootbeer Bone' scales.

A 'Cheetah Cub' knife, with 'Rootbeer Scales' tops my 'Most wanted' list, But, I'd feel foolish, trying longer, to find one to buy, if Case never made one.

Can anyone "Help"? Thanks.

Sut Tatersaul
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Sut Tatersaul wrote: I've since, checked everywhere that anyone suggested, that I have access, and still haven't been able to find out whether Case, ever made a Cheetah Cub knife, with 'Rootbeer Bone' scales.

A 'Cheetah Cub' knife, with 'Rootbeer Scales' tops my 'Most wanted' list, But, I'd feel foolish, trying longer, to find one to buy, if Case never made one.

Can anyone "Help"? Thanks.

Sut Tatersaul
I collected many Case Cheetah Cubs in the past. At my peak, I think I had between 15-20 Cubs with different handle scales but I never saw one with Rootbeer Bone.

Don't want to dash your hopes, Sut--and just because I never saw one doesn't mean it was never made--I'm just saying that during my Cub collecting period, when I was buying every Cheetah Cub I could find, I never came across any Cheetah Cubs with Rootbeer bone scales.

Here are some from my former Cub collection (now, the only Cubs I still have are the custom Paua Abalone and the White MOP).
P3050405.JPG
~Q~
~Q~

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”