Help Pricing Vintage USA Folders

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kootenay joe

Re: Help Pricing Vintage USA Folders

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Greg. The bone Camillus is a really nice knife, feels so solid in hand.
Tom, yes the blade in the EO without caps is short which is why I am asking only about the value of capped one with full blades.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Question regarding Walden Knife Co. Wharncliffe whittler:
Does it's worn condition which includes blade loss from repeated sharpening remove almost all value from it ?
Or because it is a Walden & a Wharncliffe whittler, both very collectible, enable it to hold reasonable value even though heavily used ?
I think i asked this in an earlier post ? No harm if i am repeating myself because replies can be applied to certain other knives.
Basically: does condition over rule everything, even rarity ?
kj
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Roland,
In my opinion condition is very important as far as vintage knives go. That being said a really rare knife can bring good money regardless of condition. I have a Case Bros Gowanda jack knife that is in poor condition but I have been approached about selling it several times. I had a WRCase &Sons 6488 1905-15 that was in fair condition at best, sold it for a good price when I found a better one.
The knives that suffer the most as far as condition are the knives that are not that rare. As an example a 5488 XX 40-64 congress in poor condition is not worth much when better examples are readily available.
Didn’t mean to bring Case knives in the mix but I have had a lot more experience with them as far as condition goes.
Let me stress that this is just my opinion and other folk’s opinions are just as important as mine.

Tom
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Tom. The Case examples are helpful in explaining that extreme rarity can over ride poor condition. This is what i was asking. So, is my Walden Whittler truly a rare knife ? It is the only one i have seen but my exposure to USA folding knives is no where near as extensive as many others here.
kj
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

kootenay joe wrote:Question regarding Walden Knife Co. Wharncliffe whittler:
Does it's worn condition which includes blade loss from repeated sharpening remove almost all value from it ?
Or because it is a Walden & a Wharncliffe whittler, both very collectible, enable it to hold reasonable value even though heavily used ?
I think i asked this in an earlier post ? No harm if i am repeating myself because replies can be applied to certain other knives.
Basically: does condition over rule everything, even rarity ?
kj
That Walden appears to me to be in very nice condition. IMO the minor wear is not a big issue, given the rarity of Waldens and the extreme rarity of Wharncliffe whittlers.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Steve. I know you have a lot of USA knife experience so if it is rare in your experience it is rare. The tips of all 3 blades are rounded off from sharpening and sheepsfoot has 2 nicks in blade edge. So, $100 knife ?
kj
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

kootenay joe wrote:Thank you Steve. I know you have a lot of USA knife experience so if it is rare in your experience it is rare. The tips of all 3 blades are rounded off from sharpening and sheepsfoot has 2 nicks in blade edge. So, $100 knife ?
kj

I think the Walden would likely bring more than $100. Steve is more experienced than I in these brands but I would personally be delighted to get the Walden for $100. It is worth that to me as an EDC. ::nod::

Just my $.02 worth...
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”