Dix Bros Pearl Whittler "???"

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
olderdogs1

Dix Bros Pearl Whittler "???"

Post by olderdogs1 »

I recently acquired this knife and can find no information on it. Any help would be appreciated. It is a very nice quality knife and certainly appears vintage.
Thanks in Advance!

Tom
Attachments
078.JPG
078.JPG
090.JPG
086.JPG
095.JPG
XX Case XX

Re: Dix Bros Pearl Whittler "???"

Post by XX Case XX »

Tom:

I checked "Goins" and nothing came up. I also did a google search and came up empty. If I find anything I'll let you know.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Just found this. Don't know if it's related but it's a start. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... ing-knife/

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

XX Case XX wrote:Just found this. Don't know if it's related but it's a start. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... ing-knife/

_________
Mike
I saw that Mike but doesn’t have Dix Bros on it and couldn’t be farther from the kind of knife this one is. It has sure got me stumped. Pete Cohen was at the show where I bought this but I didn’t ask him as I was sure it would be something I could look up. Nothing so far though. Thanks for looking ::tu::

Tom
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

I'm "guessing" it is german based on the look and especially because "Bros" was such a common name that the germans used to come off as Sheffield made knives - lots of examples such as Wilson Bros; Lord Bros etc etc... and often these are ones that come up empty on a search ::nod:: ...

Post by olderdogs1 »

Just doesn’t appear to be any information out there on Dix Bros.
Thanks for trying.

Tom
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

I can be of no help on the knife, however if you want to start cornering the market on DIX BROS items here is one for you: http://www.cmdnshop.top/programs-poster ... 12807.html. :D

Dennis
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

olderdogs1 wrote:Just doesn’t appear to be any information out there on Dix Bros.
Thanks for trying.

Tom
Tom - There often is not info on those german cutleries... as I said there were lots of german cutleries using Bros... here is just one other example in which I have a photo..
Walter Bros - Blades - 2.jpg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Knife is almost certainly German.

Circa WWI and afterward, lots of German makers sought to circumvent the prejudice against all things German by using Anglo/American sounding names. Even the Kastor Brothers did this; just look at all the branding stamps they used in Goins.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Thanks, Dennis, Lee, and Charlie,
I have more to go on than I did for sure. ::tu::

Tom
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The link from Dennis is to old tickets for "Dix Bros." circus. Maybe Dix Bros. ordered a bunch of knives from Germany and sold them at the circus.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

So it’s a circus knife Roland. Who knows, could have been a small hardware co. or something similar. Pete Cohan told me he had seen one before but really had no information.

If nothing else I guess it’s rare! ::tu::

Tom
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

If it was an advertising knife (circus, hardware store whatever) I would expect the handles to be marked not the tang.

Dennis
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Circus" knives are usually the lowest end of knives and could have been purchased or won at a fair or circus. The O.P. knife is not low end but still could have been sold by the same "Dix Bros" that were promoting a circus as this is the only reference to "D.B." found. Maybe one of the brothers was a knife lover !
There are many examples of retail businesses that ordered knives with their name on the tang. It is not the same as an advertising knife that clearly displays a name or logo.
Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co. was a hardware store chain that had knives made mostly by Ulster & Camillus with the tangs marked "H.S.B. & Co." and other brandings as well.
My theory is Dix Bros. were entrepreneurs and one was a keen knifer who tried his hand at knife selling and had a bunch of good quality German knives made bearing their name "Dix Bros." So not a "Circus knife" but a knife sold by a circus guy.
kj
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Tom,

There could have been many "DIX BROS" companies over the years, but here is a possible way to see if the knife is really related to the circus of that name. See these two links:

http://www.schillhahnmodelcircus.com/4436.html

http://www.schillhahnmodelcircus.com/15614.html

Maybe contact Mr. Schillhahn. He might know, as he seems to be a DIX BROS circus aficionado.

Dennis
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Thanks, Dennis,
Regardless they were apparently low production as the most knowledgeable people I know have only seen one other.
Going to be really difficult to document the knife. May just keep it and carry it.

Tom

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”