Odd Case knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
just bob

Odd Case knife

Post by just bob »

I think I am right in thinking these are mastodon handles? If that be the case why in the thunder would you put a set of them on a knife like this? Mastodon is way expensive and even if you're using scraps surely you could find a better knife to improve. Notice the handles have no pins and have been glued on. A local knife maker brought some mastodon to the knife club meeting and that is my only experience seeing it up close.
Makes you want to scratch your head. Then again I may be wrong and the handles maybe made of something else?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Case-X ... 4902.l9144
Attachments
aaaaaaa .jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
espn77

Re: Odd Case knife

Post by espn77 »

Here is my opinion. Some one wanted a nice knife they could afford with mastadon handles on it and so there ya go. I really like the Remington R4466 and don't want to carry the original example that I have. The reproduction knife has handles on it that are unappealing to me. The knife can be bought on Ebay for $25 a friend of mine (Roger, peanut) bought the knife, sent it to a friend of his who put great looking stag on it and he gave it to me. Now I have a stag R4466 I can carry. That's one of the fun things about collecting knives, we can transform them into what we like for a carry knife. Jmo
Attachments
20180423_171618.jpg
20180423_171633.jpg
cbfd

Post by cbfd »

Nice stag and a nice job on the rehandle,I agree about making a carry knife into whatever you like! Bill
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I would buy the knife, but not for $50.00. Seems excessive.

Bob
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I'm not sure I am willing to accept that is Mastodon. The seller doesn't say anything at all about the handle material. Could be plastic for all we know.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
just bob

Post by just bob »

I had a chance to examine some at the knife club. I'm not 100% sure it is mastodon, but I think it is. Also if you list a knife on ebay with Mastodon ivory handles they will end the auction. According to them you aren't allowed to sell it. Sellers try to hide the fact they are selling it but it does come up from time to time. Here is another picture for comparison.

https://carlcolsonknives.com/shop?olsPa ... r-mastodon
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Looks like mammoth / mastodon to me.

The reason the seller didn't mention what it was is because you're not allowed to sell ivory on ebay and they will boot the listing.

As far as why? I've had crazier (to me) requests before. Whoever won that knife got it for less than the ivory would have cost. much less the charge to install the new handles and the price of the knife .
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”