Bear MGC Dot System

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Bear MGC Dot System

Post by Paladin »

Can someone please help me with the Bear dot system of dating. I'm sure it has been here before but, for the life of me, I cannot find it.
As always, I appreciate the help,
Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
XX Case XX

Re: Bear MGC Dot System

Post by XX Case XX »

This was on a previous post, it might help. Click on the image to get a closer look.

________
Mike
Attachments
bear%20tang%20stamp%20005.JPG
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Thank you, Mike. Big help!

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

That means my camo Sideliner was made in 2016. Thanks for the info, I've found it weird that unlike Buck and Case, their website shows nothing on their dating system.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

cody6268 wrote:That means my camo Sideliner was made in 2016. Thanks for the info, I've found it weird that unlike Buck and Case, their website shows nothing on their dating system.
I called there today and some child (14 or 15 yrs sounded like) answered. She says that I should call back as the person who would normally answer the question is gone on vacation. I asked her if there was only one person in the company who knew about their dot system??? She says everyone is gone on vacation but her, or words to that effect. :shock: :roll:

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ray, I fiddled with it and came up with this. I think I remember there being a dating chart thread. Maybe I should stick it there too.
Or maybe one of y'all could do that.
Attachments
Bear MGC - Bear & Son Dating System (7-3-18).JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
keithw

Post by keithw »

The Bear & Son website has the same, or nearly the same info as this.
But, here is my problem, or misunderstanding about this.....

In the bottom left below "Previous Decade Tang Stamps",

Bear MGC
.....USA.....

Shouldn't that be 1990 or 2000!?
There are 10 dots, so that would be an even decade, correct?

I've thought about this a few times, and it still confuses me.

Thanks!
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

keithw wrote:The Bear & Son website has the same, or nearly the same info as this.
But, here is my problem, or misunderstanding about this.....

In the bottom left below "Previous Decade Tang Stamps",

Bear MGC
.....USA.....

Shouldn't that be 1990 or 2000!?
There are 10 dots, so that would be an even decade, correct?

I've thought about this a few times, and it still confuses me.

Thanks!
It wasn't completely clear to me either, Keith. I found myself just making the assumption and going with it.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

I have a soft spot for the Sharpfinger pattern. Since Schrade closed their doors and, for all intents and purposes, no longer exists I have been on the look-out for any American made knives in that pattern. For those who are interested Bark River has started producing a high end version in their CMP 3V Fingerling. Bear MGC also produces a less costly version. Getting to my point, I purchased this knife as unused with original box and sheath. The box has no dating information on it and I'm confused by the tang stamp. Can anyone help me date this knife?
Attachments
Bear MGC Sharpfinger Elk Etch.jpg
Bear MGC Sharpfinger Elk Etch II.jpg
A GOOD KNIFE IS LIKE A GOOD FRIEND, IT'LL NEVER LET YOU DOWN.

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

I have struggled with the Bear dots or dating also. I suggest you call them direct to get it squared away.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

Paladin wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:41 pm I have struggled with the Bear dots or dating also. I suggest you call them direct to get it squared away.

Ray
So, I called the manufacturer....after I sorted out the different company names ie Bear MGC, Bear & Son, Bear & Sons. Bear & Son is the current company name. The young lady I spoke to tried to be helpful but seemed as confused as I am. However she directed me to their on line catalog, page 3, https://online.publicationprinters.com/ ... b379eada61. We came to the conclusion that the knife I have was manufactured in 1998. That would be consistent with the wear on the box. It appears that before the '90s they did not have a dating system. I'm reasonably certain that the date on this knife 1998 or 1997 depending on how you read the info.

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Paladin wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:41 pm I have struggled with the Bear dots or dating also.

Ray

Sasquach wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:26 pm
So, I called the manufacturer....after I sorted out the different company names ie Bear MGC, Bear & Son, Bear & Sons. Bear & Son is the current company name. The young lady I spoke to tried to be helpful but seemed as confused as I am. However she directed me to their on line catalog, page 3, https://online.publicationprinters.com/ ... b379eada61. We came to the conclusion that the knife I have was manufactured in 1998. That would be consistent with the wear on the box. It appears that before the '90s they did not have a dating system. I'm reasonably certain that the date on this knife 1998 or 1997 depending on how you read the info.
Your knife is a 1998. Bear uses a 10 star system. For each decade, starting in 1990, It has 10 stars. The lowest amount of stars you will have is one. Because the next decade starts with 10 new stars. It's easier for me to remember each decade starts with 10 stars. If you have three stars, subtract 3 from 10 = 7, you add the 7 to the beginning of the decade. If your decade is starting with 2010, then those three stars =2017.

Also, in the 1990's decade, 1990 to 1999, the highest number of stars you will see will be nine. Bear MGC started in 1991.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

Papa Bones wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:53 pm
Paladin wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:41 pm I have struggled with the Bear dots or dating also.

Ray

Sasquach wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:26 pm
Your knife is a 1998. Bear uses a 10 star system. For each decade, starting in 1990, It has 10 stars. The lowest amount of stars you will have is one. Because the next decade starts with 10 new stars. It's easier for me to remember each decade starts with 10 stars. If you have three stars, subtract 3 from 10 = 7, you add the 7 to the beginning of the decade. If your decade is starting with 2010, then those three stars =2017.

Also, in the 1990's decade, 1990 to 1999, the highest number of stars you will see will be nine. Bear MGC started in 1991.
Thanks Smitty. I knew the Bear stars worked similar to the Case dot system but these didn't look like stars so I wasn't sure.

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I saved the 238 megabyte catalog to my desktop. My new DSL internet is faster than my Satellite dish just a few seconds.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”