Any help identifying this vintage Gerber would be wonderful!

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
blueONblack

Any help identifying this vintage Gerber would be wonderful!

Post by blueONblack »

Hello!

This is my first post, though I have scoured the forums in the past. I normally can dig and find most info I need when I come across a new knife for my collection, however this last one I picked up a few weeks ago I am having little luck. It is an old Gerber, and I believe it is a Magnum, but am having no luck. I haven’t been a Gerber collector before but grabbed this when I saw it for a buck at an estate sale.

I hunted around for Phil’s book A Chronology of Gerber Legendary Blades 1939-1986 but everyone is out of stock. From my digging... the magnums sheath is stamped and shaped differently from others I have seen, appearing to be older. Also, the knife is simply marked “Gerber” with a single sword. There is no A&F marking, no date code, and no magnum hunter marking.

Also, if anyone has a copy of the book by Phil or can make copies for me I would gladly pay! It will be nice to have to study up on for the future.

Any help would be great, as I’m stuck. I appreciate it!

PS I have no idea if I uploaded these photos the correct way. I’m rubish at these things.
Attachments
0E90C4CC-9668-4549-8C49-3CF21DCBFBF8.jpeg
6AB978D2-2FA4-4E40-A7CF-7EBE56B5A35B.jpeg
16265654-6F10-4C94-A281-B39D9DC8AEDA.jpeg
BB3C1485-2E2D-4846-B642-B08984256D0F.jpeg
658C2649-C210-4A32-958D-7DC022C96B19.jpeg
EA30130D-0481-4B5F-BB79-030D571BA180.jpeg
F9CE0945-566A-409C-881F-10B68C58E792.jpeg
2DC0308D-6936-4840-84CC-9F4D0FA57B09.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Any help identifying this vintage Gerber would be wonderful!

Post by doglegg »

It appears you have stumped us all. I can't help but surprised that nobody else has yet. And welcome. Don't be scarce, post a few pictures of your collection.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

I have a copy of Phil's Book on Gerbers when I get back home I will dig it out and see if I can shed any light on this . Who Know ::shrug::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

From Phil's book if I'M reading it right looks like your Magnum Hunter Is what he calls a Cat Tongue Finish that they did for 2 years 1966 through 1968 . I got my copy from Knife World Check with them they may have some ::tu:: Gary
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

I agree with Gary. It is a "Cat's Tongue" handle. Gerber's name for this treatment was, "Steel Grip", and it was accomplished by spraying molten stainless steel onto the aluminum handle.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I have this one, marked with a medical supply company name, just has a slip sheath that covers the blade only not meant to carry on a belt like your sheath.

It's a morticians knife! :lol:
Attachments
z.JPG
AAPK Janitor
blueONblack

Post by blueONblack »

doglegg wrote:It appears you have stumped us all. I can't help but surprised that nobody else has yet. And welcome. Don't be scarce, post a few pictures of your collection.
Thank you! I am in the process of moving from Alaska to Nebraska here in about a month and have packed up most of my things. I shouldn’t even be going out to estate sales to find more stuff! But i am glad I did with this one. I will get more involved in the forum now that I have set up a membership finally.
blueONblack

Post by blueONblack »

kennedy knives wrote:From Phil's book if I'M reading it right looks like your Magnum Hunter Is what he calls a Cat Tongue Finish that they did for 2 years 1966 through 1968 . I got my copy from Knife World Check with them they may have some ::tu:: Gary
Yeah the Cat Tongue Finish is definitely what this knife has, I was stumped from the branding on this model. The other 66-68s I have seen all have Magnum stamped along with Gerber and the sword. Maybe this was just a early model before they produced the main batches. I don’t know! Pretty cool though and will most likely stay in my collection for awhile!

And thank you, I called Knife World a few days ago and they said they were out, and it won’t be printed again. I asked them if they may have kept a copy what I could pay to have copies made and they didn’t! Which I thought was odd for a company of that nature to not keep a personal company copy.
blueONblack

Post by blueONblack »

Miller Bro's wrote:I have this one, marked with a medical supply company name, just has a slip sheath that covers the blade only not meant to carry on a belt like your sheath. It's a morticians knife! :lol:
Wow! A morticians knife huh! Interesting. Well the grip that the Cat Tongue treatment gives is pretty amazing. Reminds me of knurled Bar once it’s aged a bit. I suppose it would work for that purpose! Haha
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Welcome to AAPK Blue.

Bill Rodenberg is a member of Oregon Knife Collectors Association. That is where I met him and got a copy of his book in about 2010. I know Phil personally paid for the first publication of his book and I think it was limited to 100 copies. I got copy number 78. I think he probably had it published again after that, but I have not seen one of those copies so I don't know who published it.

I haven't seen Phil at the OKCA show three or four years, I had heard he was having some health issues but I don't know how he is doing now.

I concur with the consensus of those posting about your knife, I do believe it is a Magnum Hunter with the cat's tongue handle.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

my copy is First Edition 2nd Printing # 195 and signed by Phil. blueONBlack when you get settled in on your move I will mail you my copy for you to make copies if you will agree to return Gary
blueONblack

Post by blueONblack »

kennedy knives wrote:my copy is First Edition 2nd Printing # 195 and signed by Phil. blueONBlack when you get settled in on your move I will mail you my copy for you to make copies if you will agree to return Gary
Gary,

Thank you, that would be wonderful!

Jacob

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”