Can't find much info on this Case NKCA knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Can't find much info on this Case NKCA knife

Post by treefarmer »

I got this knife a year or so back and just left it on my desk and every once in a while I would work on cleaning it up. It was covered with rust, like it had been submerged in water. Being of stainless construction it was mostly discolored, however the pen blade that had an etch "1 of 1600" didn't come completely clean, probably because I was trying to preserve the etch. Only used Mothers and a rag. As you can see the shield is missing and I believe all the blades are still factory edge. Sorry to say, way too many new Case knives have a horrible factory edge in my experience but Case is still a favorite.
What's the deal with the organization NKCA, have they turned belly up? Can't seem to find any info on them but I see several different brands of knives with their shield on E-bay. Some like this 6592 in mint condition are over a hundred bucks.
The etch on the clip blade says, "1972 NKCA 1982" over the phrase "DECADE OF GROWTH", this tang stamp shows this to be of 1986 manufacture. That doesn't seem to add up, unless they were looking back.::shrug::
This is the 1st 6592 I've handled and find it to be more of an oddity than a practical knife for my purposes. I suppose one could get used to all the blades and how to find them, sorta' like a SAK. ::hmm::
Wonder if Case would have the round shield for this? Some of the other NKCA knives also show a round shield with NKCA logo.
Also the front bolster, mark side, has the number 0811 or 1180 if turned upside down.
Any comments on this one and/or the NKCA?
Treefarmer
DSCN4692.JPG
DSCN4691.JPG
DSCN4682.JPG

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Can't find much info on this Case NKCA knife

Post by hardman »

I can't answer your questions directly. But, I would agree that the NKCA appears to be out of business. It appears to me to have happened about the time the National Knife Museum left SMKW and split into three parts. I have read various accounts of their demise. At least their legacy, in terms of the annual knives that come up for sale every so often, is quite interesting. I like many of the NKCA knives.

Of the NKCA knives, the Case 6592 is one of my favorites. But, I have to admit to being a fan of the now discontinued Case 92 pattern. Case made three of the five bladed 92's. One was Stag, another was Second Cut Stag, and this NKCA Green Bone. I have the trio and they are a valued part of my collection.

I doubt Case would have a shield for that knife, but I could be wrong. My wife tells me it happens all the time.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

I sent in my membership money to the NKCA back in 2011, mostly to get the copy of "Counterfeiting Antique Cutlery" by Gerald Witcher, that came with joining. I didn't hear anything from them for almost a year, however, I did finally get my membership card and the book. I purchased the 2012 club knife, a GEC #23. After that I got one mailing from them and then nothing else. Their website has been down for a few years now.
When Rookie reads your query I am sure he will have a lot more information. In the last couple of years they were in operation it was his pictures of the club knives that were on the website. Here is his website with some more NKCA information.

http://www.nkcayouth.com

Finding a couple of NKCA club knives at a flea market was what started me back into traditional pocket knives. I started out collecting the NKCA knives and have all of the yearly pocket knives (some years there were two) from 1975 to 1998 inclusive.
Dan
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Here is a page from Rookie's website which has information on your knife.

http://www.nkcayouth.com/images/knife%2 ... e_1982.jpg
Dan
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

danno50 wrote:Here is a page from Rookie's website which has information on your knife.

Prices were a lot more affordable way back then. 8)
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thanks for the info, the 2nd site that danno50 posted, shows a knife and the serial number on the knife is read with the springs down. So the one I have should be read 0811. Still a puzzle why my knife has a 1986, 4 dot stamp when the info states the Commemoratives knives were made in '82? Did they make 1600 each year?
The other Commemorative knife shown, the #49 Queen is a favorite pattern of mine. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

philco wrote:
danno50 wrote:Here is a page from Rookie's website which has information on your knife.

P

They don't bring a whole lot today.
Roger
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

peanut740 wrote:
philco wrote:

P

What he said! ::nod::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Paladin wrote:
peanut740 wrote:
philco wrote:P

What he said! ::nod::

Ray
Very true, I am sure I could never get anywhere close to what I paid for some of them.
Dan
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Ebay and internal conflict killed the NKCA.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I have the 1986 made by Gerber NIB. Bought it a antique mall before I knew anything. Hope it still is worth around what I paid.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

mrwatch wrote:I have the 1986 made by Gerber NIB. Bought it a antique mall before I knew anything. Hope it still is worth around what I paid.
That is a very nice little lockback. Checked eBay listings. There are numerous of the 1986 Gerber NKCA knives listed at BIN and minimum bid prices ranging from about $40 to $125. Checking the sold listings, there were 6 listed, which sold at prices ranging from $25 to $67, with an average sale price of about $44.
Dan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Ebay and internal conflict killed the NKCA.

Charlie Noyes
No Charlie it was Smokey Mt and the decline in membership . Smokey demanded that the NKCA man the Museum 7 day's a week 2 shifts but would not allow us to make any sells . Which they did help by collect donations at the cashier . Also There is a lot more to it than I want to get into The NKCA owed money to the IRS, Suppliers Insurance & etc. I left in 2012 after Leroy & I worked with Lawyers to get the tax lien reduced & finally paid off also paying off suppliers it was in a mess when we took over in 2011. I had to loan it money which was paid back. Leroy may want to add to this store as he has most of the records from that time.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I have a knife with that exact blade stamping but it is a Queen 3 blade stockman ser# 0166.
Attachments
QueenNKCA10YearAnniversary1972-1982 #0166 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Ray, the NKCA Decade of Growth set consisted of 2 knives, the one in the OP and the Queen which you posted.
Dan
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Here is the pic from the website of the Decade of Growth set.
Attachments
comm_knife_1982.jpg
Dan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

danno50 wrote:Here is the pic from the website of the Decade of Growth set.
Thanks for the info Danno;I wasn't aware of the other knife. I got the Queen many years ago in a trade with a friend of mine when I was collecting stag knives.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”